1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-Assigned Groups

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Sol, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Sol

Sol New Member

I run a popular community that very strongly identifies with certain labels (psychological, astrological; MBTI Type or Horoscope Sign etc...).

I found a great plugin to display groups you belong to with ribbons (http://xenforo.com/community/resources/rt-user-rank-ribbons.832/) but I don't want to manually add all the Aries to the Aries group or the INTJ's to theirs. So, how would I go about allowing people to select which "groups" they identify with (maybe during the sign up process)?

I'm aware of group promotions and criteria, but is there any criteria to promote a person to the Aries group once they create their first post/reply in the "Aries"forum topic (node?)

Thank you
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can use custom user fields and user group promotion.

The members would check which groups they want to join.
  3. Sol

Sol New Member

Wow that was a fast response.

That's awesome as it was really important to choose XenForo for the community.

Are there any hints where I could find those custom user fields and user group promotions or what I could read to get started in understanding how to create them?
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Sol likes this.
  5. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

@Sol , if you are just looking for people to join their groups, Join User Group would be a better choice.
    Sol likes this.
  6. Sol

Sol New Member

@tyteen4a03 thanks for that, it seems a lot simpler!
  7. webducknj

webducknj Active Member

nevermind, i'm not a licensed customer so i can't see a download link