Selective Importing from vBulletin 4

afonseca

Hi, I have a question before purchasing xenForo 2. I am coming from vBulleting 4.2.5 and want to import only posts from within a recent date range as there are many old threads that are no longer relevant. Is it possible to do this from the import settings or do I have to import everything and then figure out how to delete the older threads?

If it's the latter, does xenForo provide an easy way to filter all the old posts (earlier than a certain date) and then delete them or possible move them to an archive forum? It's not just an import of all existing content but some re-organization so that is why I'm asking.

Any insight on options to accomplish the above import/reorganization would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Not sure during the import, but after the import definitely.
You can use batch update threads to accomplish what you want. If you look at the demo:

1565390592820.png

1565390676795.png

You can select a date range to find matched thread, you can even select the nodes you want to search from.

After that you can move or delete the found threads. I would move them to a special private node and see if all is good. And then delete everything in that node after making sure all went okay.

Just be aware that there's probably very few cases where you don't care about retaining IDs on import. Generally it's something you always want to do to allow redirection.

But my point was personal presence. I can expound upon that. It may bother some people to have numbers all over the place like forum 414 and 2113, or user #1 as 233, when they can start at 1 again. Especially if they are cleaning a lot of junk out. Efficiency may not enter the equation for some, for others, yes. :)

Thanks, I'm lucky in this regard as it's for a private forum for a membership site so nothing gets indexed by search engines and I get to control all referring links. :) Good things to consider for public facing forums however.

Yeah, it's not 100% seamless but we'll be informing members of the switch and it would only affect current members that are less likely to have links pointing to posts that go as far back as the ones we're pruning since our membership term is limited.

Top Bottom