Cannot reproduce Second timestamp error

Ferdinand

Affected version
So this is the second time I've had a timestamp for a future date/time. Is this because I am in a different location to the Xenforo servers? Is there a way to make it show local time based on ISP IP like gig job sites showing your local time and the message posters.
Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 11.44.20 am.png
So it should read a moment ago here instead of in a moment? I'm not even sure where these phrases come from.

Last edited:
Configure time on your computer.
Browser receives a timestamp from server when message a sended and browser selects the phrase for displaying after comparing current system time with received from server.

Configure time on your computer.
Browser receives a timestamp from server when message a sended and browser selects the phrase for displaying after comparing current system time with received from server.
No other site has this issue, date and time settings are fine. - Where does the future phrase set come from? This post will in a moment, a user being last seen later today. So it's also not just on the post button. I think it is something to do with the time difference between me and the server but it's an odd bug whatever.

This can be two reasons:
  • Your browser doesn't know current time when you performs this actions. I have this behavior only if my PC goes to sleep mode (Windows/macOS - no matter) for a long time (from 12 hours) with opened browser, and when i bring him out of sleep, i can see phrases like "Tomorrow in 12:34" when performing any AJAX actions (such as loading alerts in usermenu) before i refresh the tab.
  • Incorrect time on your PC/site server 🤷‍♂️

We have had a few scattered reports of this, though it's not something I've ever been able to reproduce (in normal browsing) and unfortunately that makes trying to resolve it super complicated. If you do see anything like this -- particularly "in a moment" for things that would've already happened -- please let us know the exact actions taken including:

1. Roughly how long the page was open before the action that triggered the "in a moment" date was taken.
2. Whether you did any navigation before that. Basically going forward or back such that the page came from your browser cache, rather than clicking a link "normally" that causes it to come from the server.
3. If the ajax request for the action you took (member tooltip, posting, etc) seemed to be slower (or faster?) than you would normally expect.
4. The browser and OS (with version) you were using when you triggered it.

Out of curiosity, how old is your computer? It's possible that its real-time clock is drifting; if the clock is inconsistent or jumping around to try to compensate (e.g., as it syncs with a time server), that could theoretically cause it, though that'd be quite a coincidence.

Top Bottom