Implemented Search when Resources tab selected isn't limited to resources - is this intentional?

CTXMedia

I wanted to search for an add-on that posted reported items into a nominated moderators forum, so selected the Resources tab and then typed "reports" into the search box at the top right and got back 10+ pages of results.

I'd expected - possibly incorrectly - that this would just search within resources?

After going to the Advanced search I found I could specifically select a tab for only searching resources which brought back just 4 results - none of which offered the add-on I was looking for.

Does anyone else feel that having the resources tab selected should focus a search just on resources, or is it just me who made the wrong assumption? o_O

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
The search box in the nav bar currently only changes context when within a forum or thread.

Presumably you want it to also change context when the Resources tab is selected?

Do you want me to move this to suggestions?

Presumably you want it to also change context when the Resources tab is selected?

Well, sort of - it's what I'd expected it to do - but there's possibly a good reason it doesn't?

If others feel it would be advantageous to change context and the XF team agree, it might be a useful change to implement.

If you've got the Resources tab selected, then any search is likely to be aimed at resources a fair percentage of the time, so a default setting in this regard might save the time (and possibly frustration) of the additional clicks to select the advanced search form and the resources tab within it.

It's also sort of hidden at the moment and not obvious to newcomers.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

+ 1 definitely needed. Was going to suggest it a few days ago. No surprise GeeksChat thought of it.

Search results could appear in a in-page tab so you don't leave the Resource Tab.
The in-page Search tab might not be there until the search was performed.

resources.tab.should.have.context.dependent.searching.webp

Top Bottom