1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Search settings

Discussion in 'Enhanced Search Support' started by Biker, May 25, 2015.

1. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

How bad of an impact would removing the search limits on Enhanced Search cause? Currently, we have it set to 200 results, which on a busy board, could be only a few hours worth of posts, especially when using the "New Posts" link. Some of our users are complaining that they're missing content due to new posts/threads not being displayed. It's not uncommon for the site to receive 8-10 thousand new posts in a day.

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

There will always need to be a limit. A higher limit could lead to slower searches (though perhaps only marginally) and more memory usage (due to permission checking at the search stage).

3. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

@Biker just increase it to 500 and see how it impacts (or not) and then increase it at intervals until you find the point at which it causes a slow down. I imagine if it's a large and busy site it'll already have the hardware and set-up to accommodate a much higher search results setting.

Of course there's a practical limit too; just how many pages of results is someone generally going to bother searching through?

4. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

If the users could search (new posts) a full day's worth of traffic, I think we'd see less angst. We'll just have to fiddle with things I guess.