Would be cool ala Google

example:
X Y ( X's or Y )
X -Y ( all X no Y )
+X +Y ( both X and Y )
" X Y " ( string search )

please? :)

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
You can do all of that. Except "X Y" isn't X or Y in Google (or here), it's X and Y (or at least very close to it). Or is implemented through | (ie, X | Y).

I have analyzed some search strings that users have used on other boards, and there effectively weren't any boolean operators being used. Even quotes were exceedingly rare.

Okay great! I didn't dig deep enough, I tried it before posting and the minus operator didn't subtract on topic title.

Just tried it again and works as you state :
xenfora -meaning didn't subtract since both words were in the title
xenfora -Spanish subtracted since Spanish was in the body

I'm surprised it's doing that, but I think that might be down to how MySQL is handling it.

You can do all of that. Except "X Y" isn't X or Y in Google (or here), it's X and Y (or at least very close to it). Or is implemented through | (ie, X | Y).

I have analyzed some search strings that users have used on other boards, and their effectively weren't any boolean operators being used. Even quotes were exceedingly rare.

Excellent.

I have analyzed some search strings that users have used on other boards, and their effectively weren't any boolean operators being used. Even quotes were exceedingly rare.
Or poorly executed, more often I've had to google search my own forums (vB) for clarity just to get the right result -

Ok, removed from my big list of things to test .. :)

I think it's great that you can use -minusthis in a search. Using it daily in google to get actual results. If only Google would have --remove:seospam :D

I have analyzed some search strings that users have used on other boards, and there effectively weren't any boolean operators being used. Even quotes were exceedingly rare.

I never bother with complex search strings, because most sites don't seem to give me different results with them

Top Bottom