1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Search Operators?

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by gordy, Aug 8, 2010.

1. gordy

gordy Well-Known Member

Would be cool ala Google

example:
    X Y ( X's or Y )
    X -Y ( all X no Y )
    +X +Y ( both X and Y )
    " X Y " ( string search )

please? :)

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You can do all of that. Except "X Y" isn't X or Y in Google (or here), it's X and Y (or at least very close to it). Or is implemented through | (ie, X | Y).

I have analyzed some search strings that users have used on other boards, and there effectively weren't any boolean operators being used. Even quotes were exceedingly rare.

Tigratrus likes this.
  3. gordy

gordy Well-Known Member

Okay great! I didn't dig deep enough, I tried it before posting and the minus operator didn't subtract on topic title.

Just tried it again and works as you state :
    xenfora -meaning didn't subtract since both words were in the title
    xenfora -Spanish subtracted since Spanish was in the body

4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I'm surprised it's doing that, but I think that might be down to how MySQL is handling it.

5. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

Excellent.

6. gordy

gordy Well-Known Member

Or poorly executed, more often I've had to google search my own forums (vB) for clarity just to get the right result -

7. Floris

Floris Guest

Ok, removed from my big list of things to test .. :)

I think it's great that you can use -minusthis in a search. Using it daily in google to get actual results. If only Google would have --remove:seospam :D

8. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

I never bother with complex search strings, because most sites don't seem to give me different results with them