1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 search for numbers does not work

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by snoopy5, Feb 14, 2013.

1. snoopy5

snoopy5 Well-Known Member

when I type in my search box i.e. 28-75, the search does not bring any results, although there are a ot of postings with "28-75" in it.

Also the search for "28" does not bring any results. In ACP the minimum search length is 2

What could be the reason for it?
  2. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Are you using the default mysql fulltext search, or the Xenforo Enhanced Search product?

My bet is that your mysql minimum index length is set to 3, and mysql doesn't understand 28-75. Does "25-75" (in quotes) return a result?
  3. snoopy5

no, same results with and without quotes...

how can I check whether my mysql has a minimum of 2 or 3 characters?
  4. cclaerhout

cclaerhout Well-Known Member

Let's do an easy answer: as far as I can remember if you're with a share hosting, you can't really. I did this trick for only one forum but it's very limited and the code is not fully finished yet.
  5. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

digitalpoint provided a fix for that some time ago. You should be able to find it with searching.
    cclaerhout likes this.
  6. cclaerhout

cclaerhout Well-Known Member

Really? I thought it was with the enhanced search. If not, I'm really interested... especially because of Chinese/Japanese characters...
  7. snoopy5

I called my webhoster. I am not allowed to change the limit in mysql. Its is set to 4 there. In the XF-ACP have set it to 2. But this obviously does not have any influence because of the mysql settings.

Where do I find & enable the enhanced search and what is the benefit and downside over the normal search?

The modification of digitalpoint you mentioned, is it that one?:

8. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

If you can't change the mysql settings, I doubt you can install Java and Elasticsearch to run XF Enhanced Search. You'd have to move to a VPS account first.