Script (developer)

billybatz9

Hello,

I am needing to show a few developers the script of Xenforo in order for them to create a special plugin for me.

I do not want to get in trouble if they decide to do something illegal and use it on other websites...

SO ..... is there a way to show them the script so they can see what they are working with? But in a way that I can not get in trouble with Xenforo>?

In other words... never ever show scripts to anyone?

The earnest falls upon the license owner that the files relating to your license fall within the license agreement.

Meaning, if you have a 3rd party developer working on your site, that is fine, but if he decides to run off with a copy and use it illegally, the ultimate responsibility will be with you. So make sure the people you hire are trustworthey and you have the relevent contracts in place.

If you know what you are doing with folder/directory permissions and can set them up as an admin on a testbed, you can simply apply the proper folder permissions for them to only see directories they actually need to see which more than likely would be library /styles and /js.

If they can upload to those directories and have admin board access I would think that they have everything they need to (decide on if they will ) build you an addon as well as see what they are working with for the most part and this will relieve you of the need to give them a copy of anything.

This brings up an interesting question, does XenForo phone home? Meaning once a forum is live does it communicate with XenForo servers to periodically check the validity of the license?

Also, to maintain confidentiality of my project, I want to build everything on a code-name domain, then move it over to the actual domain after project is complete. Does this cause any issues with the license? Or is the license stuck with one specific domain for life?

That doesn't answer the question of whether the product phones home on a regular basis, I think some people would want to know that. Anywho, I ended up purchasing the license for both XenForo and the Resource Manager, and added my forum name to my list of associated accounts. The customer area only shows I have a XenForo license (doesn't list the Resource Manager separately), and I still don't have posting permissions to the paid customer forums. Does it take some time for it to enable?

That doesn't answer the question of whether the product phones home on a regular basis, I think some people would want to know that. Anywho, I ended up purchasing the license for both XenForo and the Resource Manager, and added my forum name to my list of associated accounts. The customer area only shows I have a XenForo license (doesn't list the Resource Manager separately), and I still don't have posting permissions to the paid customer forums. Does it take some time for it to enable?

No, XenForo doesn't send any requests from your server to XenForos. If I remember rightly to see if you are using the correct licence key it checks against a hash on registration, that is all. No requests.

Top Bottom