1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on SSL

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by mikelowrey, Jun 5, 2015.

1. mikelowrey

mikelowrey Active Member

Been looking at SSL, but there is so many options, I am lost. What would you recommend and why? what price is a good price?

Thank you.
  2. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

3. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member

RoldanLT likes this.
  4. RoldanLT

If you purchase 3 year plan :p
    Still $8.95 per year :D

Edit: Actually they are really cheap :D
  5. Zynektic

Zynektic Well-Known Member

I've been told by three hosts to ignore Comodo and get RapidSSL - any idea why?

(I do run RapidSSL instead of Comodo from namecheap.com)
  6. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

I have use alphassl, comodo, rapidssl and startssl. All class 1 domain validation.

No problems so far.
  7. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member

Wooops, you're right, btw, I've purchased my SSL certificates there but using coupons.
    I can not remember the coupon, but searching in google there are many sites that have.
    the price in the end is $4.99 / year (Using coupon) paying each year :coffee:
    CynthiaA likes this.
  8. mikelowrey

mikelowrey Active Member

Any major difference between them or is it just the different names? I noticed that some does not offer the green address bar(usually cost a bit more) is that just basically for the user to have more trust?
  9. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

What you need to look for with SSL is whether or not they work correctly across mobile platforms. Many don't, many do. You can spend $10 on one that works fine across 95% of browsers and OS nowadays. There is no requirement to spend large sums, to be perfectly honest, not for simply securing your domain for user security.

If you want to validate your organization or extended validation... they're more expensive. Some good FAQ's on this subject at https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/category.aspx/38/ssl-certificates-faq)
  10. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

Cloudflare offers it for free.
  11. ibnesayeed

ibnesayeed Well-Known Member

Let's Encrypt is promising to arrive by mid of this year which is almost here and they seem to be making good progress. They introduce themselves as, "Let’s Encrypt is a new Certificate Authority: It’s free, automated, and open."
    eberkund, rafass and Andrej like this.
  12. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member

I've uninstalled my SSL yesterday and I'm using the certificates of Cloudflare only.
    Cheap certificates don't allow wildcard .* (sub-domains)
    Wildcard certificates are very expensive, around $100 but some times there are "offers" between $40-$50 bucks
    Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 1.39.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 1.38.39 PM.png

BUT With Cloudflare, exactly the same is Absolutely FREE!

Let's encrypt looks really promising.

Seems this is the end of the expensive SSL certificates.
    Anthony Parsons likes this.
  13. RoldanLT

And is limited to modern browser only ;).
  14. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member

You're right
  15. ibnesayeed

ibnesayeed Well-Known Member

Let's Encrypt will only provide Domain Validated SSL Certificates (DV SSL) which will be enough for most cases, but if Extended Validation of entity is required then the traditional route will be taken. So I won't call it the end of expensive SSL, instead I would say it brings the basic SSL to everyone's reach and that is awesome.
    rafass likes this.