Said Goodbye to Windows This Week

But it's java based, and I hate to install java/jre.
I would never install java on a windows machine. The few times I did install it I always seemed to end up with a virus from one web site or another. So I just made it policy not to install it and never had a problem with windows viruses.

On linux it a different story, so I'm giving it another chance to run Eclipse.

I use phpstorm, several years ago I used Notepad++. I can't believe you were still recently using it though, crazy. I imagine you'll be much faster/more efficient now.

I love me some Sublime 3. Andrew and I bought a multi-license a while back and it's been cake ever since. I still use Dreamweaver to build websites, but Sublime is awesome handling SASS/LESS files in conjunction with Prepros.

MOAR TOOLS!

Honestly I still use Notepad ++ to design websites. I find it more fun to be so much more hands on. Plus it keeps my skills fresh and up to date.

I prefer to use Notepad ++. I feel that it allows me to directly view the code with out having to switch around. Now I do understand that Dreamweaver has the same thing where you can edit and view live preview as you do this. I guess you could say that I have no legit reason for wanting to use it over other applications, it's more or less a personal preference.

I prefer to use Notepad ++. I feel that it allows me to directly view the code with out having to switch around. Now I do understand that Dreamweaver has the same thing where you can edit and view live preview as you do this. I guess you could say that I have no legit reason for wanting to use it over other applications, it's more or less a personal preference.
None of the IDEs or editors we've described in this thread are WYSIWYG HTML editors, like Dreamweaver is. They're all very similar to Notepad++ in the basic functionality - just your code in an editable window. The thing with different IDEs is the extra embellishments to make programming easier - like syntax highlighting, code completion, multiple panes, etcetera. :)

Anyway, I'm throwing my hat in with Sublime Text 3 because it is so light and extensible - Eclipse and PHPStorm always felt far to heavy for me, and I honestly never used 95% of their functionality. These days I'm auditioning Atom (which is basically Sublime for hipsters), but either are as good as the other.

And I shudder to think that anyone could try to any real work done in Notepad...

None of the IDEs or editors we've described in this thread are WYSIWYG HTML editors, like Dreamweaver is. They're all very similar to Notepad++ in the basic functionality - just your code in an editable window. The thing with different IDEs is the extra embellishments to make programming easier - like syntax highlighting, code completion, multiple panes, etcetera. :)

Anyway, I'm throwing my hat in with Sublime Text 3 because it is so light and extensible - Eclipse and PHPStorm always felt far to heavy for me, and I honestly never used 95% of their functionality. These days I'm auditioning Atom (which is basically Sublime for hipsters), but either are as good as the other.

And I shudder to think that anyone could try to any real work done in Notepad...

Touche my good sir. :)

It's been over a month since I switched to Mint and I thought I'd update this with my experience...

Overall I've found that things generally run faster on Mint than they did on Windows 7. The only thing I've found odd is if I turn off a shared drive that is mounted in Mint, any program that has a 'Recently Opened' menu selection tends to take a while to realize the drive is gone and seemingly hangs the system. So I just need to remember to unmount the drive before I turn it off.

Eclipse has been a godsend for me. The automatic syntax system is a major help when writing add-ons. I wonder how I ever got along without it. :)

My biggest gripe is Firefox and I haven't had the time to research add-ons that might improve it. While Google Chrome seems better, again I haven't had the time to configure it the way I would like to use it on a regular basis.

And finally, there is precisely one Windows program that I use from time to time that just won't run under Linux. Not even with wine. So I'm forced to keep an SSD with my old windows install handy and swap out the drive when I need to run that program. Fortunately it's not needed often, maybe every month or two and I can run batches so I don't need to run it again for a while.

Overall I give Mint a 9 out of 10 stars. :D

Avery's Design Pro for labels.

I've looked at linux alternatives, but none can do what I need to do the way I want to do it. At least none I've found.

Have you tried LibreOffice? You should be able to import all of your label templates into that no?
Yes and while it would be good for new labels, the existing label system is huge. I would have to recreate all of the labels from scratch. Design Pro uses it's own template system so I don't think importing is possible.

Plus to be honest, while I use calc quite often, I'm not that familiar with LibreOffice writer and it's very possible I don't know how to do some things. ;)

That argument's not held water for about 5 years now ;)

New games by decent publishers are released on Windows, Mac and Linux. Those that aren't usually work absolutely fine in Wine, CrossOver, Cider, etc.

On the rare occasion that they don't, you can go with a VM or bootcamp if you're really into games.

Avery's Design Pro for labels.

I've looked at linux alternatives, but none can do what I need to do the way I want to do it. At least none I've found.
To save having to keep an entire HDD running windows, why not grab a copy of VirtualBox (its free) and keep a really small Windows VM there.

To save having to keep an entire HDD running windows, why not grab a copy of VirtualBox (its free) and keep a really small Windows VM there.

I agree. I'm not techie but even I've had 2 versions of windows running on Virtualbox on Mint. No rebooting required - all run simultaneously. Just switch between them like they were programs. I was amazed.

Avery label wizard on Word was one reason why I did it too!

Very interesting to read that others also use(d) simple editors for coding.. I once wrote a ~ 2 kloc Bash script in gedit (Gnome text editor). But tbh I think it was crazier to write this script in the first place than to write in an editor :D But I did it mainly because it was fun and because I was fascinated how much you can achieve with a „simple“ Bash script.. But that's actually long ago. Now I use NetBeans for (add-on) development. And that's mainly because I (had to) use it during my studies for Java development.. I'm pretty satifisied with NetBeans as it's makes coding much easier. I've also read before that PhpStorm may be even (a little bit?) better for PHP development. So it would probably not a bad idea to do a little research and then maybe swtich to it...

Regarding Linux: Congtrats for switching @Snog and I'm glad to hear that you haven't regret it (so far ;D). I've used Ubuntu for nearly a decade iirc and I'm also overall pretty satisfied with it although recently there a few problems. But I definitely wouldn't switch to Windows anymore.. I only need Win for my tax software which I use once a year. So that's no problem as I don't even have to reboot thx to the VMware Player :)

The best suggestion I've seen!

I installed VirtualBox and the program runs well under it.

The only problem I'm having at the moment is getting the HP printer driver to install. The printer is recognized, but the drivers won't download/install. I'm updating windows now and will try again once that's done.

After updating windows in VirtualBox, the printer drivers installed without a hitch.

I'm now one happy camper. I can access and print all of the labels just as if I swapped out the drives. But no need for that any more!

Top Bottom