Said Goodbye to Windows This Week

Snog

After being a hard core Windows person for many, many years I said goodbye to Windows and have changed all of my operating systems to Mint.

So far I haven't found anything that I can't do in Mint that I could do in Windows. As a matter of fact, in many cases Mint does things better. :)

And now I've also installed Eclipse for my add-on development and that has been one great upgrade for me. I'd recommend Eclipse to anyone doing add-on development.

Eclipse?

Have you ever tried PhpStorm?

Just wondering :) People like what they like, but having used most IDEs I can't imagine myself going back to something Eclipse based.
I'll look into it. But there's one advantage to Eclipse... it's free. :D

That is true :)

They occasionally do some decent discounts though.

What were you using before Eclipse?

not-sure-if-serious.webp

:D

Seriously, I can't even imagine trying to develop using Notepad.

Crazy!

Seriously, I can't even imagine trying to develop using Notepad.
It's no joke. I have never used any sort of development tool until now. All notepad and wordpad.

I'm not the only old school developer. I know people using gedit for large scale commercial use C programs.

But it's java based, and I hate to install java/jre.
They all are, really.

PhpStorm is also Java based but I've never had performance issues with it like I had with Eclipse. Anything I used which was Eclipse based - including Zend Studio - I eventually ended up despising.

On Windows, PhpEd is an excellent option as it is a native Windows app. But, of course, PhpStorm is cross platform so that was ultimately what led me to leave PhpEd when I started using a MacBook in addition to Windows on my desktop.

Top Bottom