1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add-on Safe URL

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Requests' started by mlw4428, Apr 12, 2013.

1. mlw4428

mlw4428 Member

I'm interested in an addon that would convert user-submitted URLs (which could be overridden with a permission) that would take a link like

and transform it to something like

And I could then run that against a list of databases (whether it pulls from existing databases from an API or my own) and if matching would display a warning to the user that gives some sort of reasoning on why the link is "unsafe" (website does drive-by downloads, hosts illegal content, etc).

I could not find anything like this in existence.
    Kent likes this.
  2. Kent

Kent Active Member

I've had this problem in the past where users malicious arseholes would post links to sites with drive-by Java malware.
    Partially solved it by censoring a few well-known free domain and short-URL services.
    This could also help identify spammers who use their profile information to advertise, or send mass PMs with spam.

Unfortunately such a system won't be able to catch new or custom-made malware, which is what my site has experienced.

Twitter does something similar with t.co: https://support.twitter.com/entries/109623