Safari push notifications coming to macOS and iOS

I don’t see why would users need to refresh a single page on my board
Not to mention they can just click the site logo to refresh, it's the same thing you just don't drag to do it. To me this is a trivial issue that doesn't seem to impact anyone in any real way.

I've added a refresh button to the top that will reload any existing page the user is on. Here's how if anyone's interested.

IMG_1027.jpg

Add this to the extra.less template
CSS:
/* add refresh fontawsome image */
.p-navgroup-link
{
    &.p-navgroup-link--refresh i:after
    {
        .m-faContent(@fa-var-refresh);
    }
}

In the PAGE_CONTAINER template find:
HTML:
<div class="p-navgroup p-discovery{{ !$xf.visitor.canSearch() ? ' p-discovery--noSearch' : '' }}">

Add this just above it:
HTML:
<a href="javascript:window.location.href=window.location.href"
   class="p-navgroup-link p-navgroup-link--iconic p-navgroup-link--refresh js-badge--refresh"
   title="Refresh">
    <i aria-hidden="true"></i>
</a>

Last edited:
I've added a refresh button to the top that will reload any existing page the user is on. Here's how if anyone's interested.

View attachment 284372

CSS:
.p-navgroup-link
{
    {
    }
}

HTML:
<div class="p-navgroup p-discovery{{ !$xf.visitor.canSearch() ? ' p-discovery--noSearch' : '' }}">

Add this just above it:
HTML:
   class="p-navgroup-link p-navgroup-link--iconic p-navgroup-link--refresh js-badge--refresh"
   title="Refresh">
</a>
Seems too crowded out there in your navbar.

Instead of the dark mode button on top (light bulb), we moved it to the footer:

1681038983385.webp

and enabled automatic dark mode via this js:

By the way, @Chris D noted that 2.2.13 is a few weeks away, so no add-ons will be needed for push notifications for iOS:

View attachment 284372

CSS:
.p-navgroup-link
{
    {
    }
}

HTML:

Add this just above it:
HTML:
   title="Refresh">
</a>
Hey, that’s a cool idea actually.

It's coming.
It's already here and there's no need to wait if you don't want to. We've been using it on my site since iOS 16.4 came out and it's working great, engagement has really picked up as a result of notifications (especially response times).

It's already here and there's no need to wait if you don't want to. We've been using it on my site since iOS 16.4 came out and it's working great, engagement has really picked up as a result of notifications (especially response times).
Only problem, it's not fully implemented in 2.2.12. There are still some issues that need to be addressed.

He referred to the fact that there is an add-on for that without waiting for stock implementation.
I'm well aware that there is an add-on to do it.. BUT the fact remains, it's not here in 2.2.12 and there ARE bugs in the 2.2.12 implementation. Not everybody is crazy about jumping onto an add-on that could cause issues in the changeover to a 2.2.13 implementation.
Sometimes it is simpler to wait until it's implemented natively... albeit with XF's recent "release rate", if you just HAVE to have it now, an add-on would be the only option. But personally.. I have no problems waiting another few weeks instead of stuffing yet one more add-on into the stack. Users have gone this long on IOS without it, it's not going to be a Earth-shattering change.

ARE bugs in the 2.2.12 implementation
The only issue that we couldn't overcome (which involves a core js file) is to show the number of notifications on the app's icon. Other than that, there are no bugs or issues that I know of (nor the developers of the add-on).

jumping onto an add-on that could cause issues in the changeover to a 2.2.13 implementation.
This is not true. Worst case scenario users will need to re-install the app.

I think honestly that license holders just lost hope (and maybe trust) in XF devs' timelines, so that's why they are ready to jump pretty fast on add-ons that solve their issues or implement new features they want.

This is not true. Worst case scenario users will need to re-install the app.
You really don't think that's an issue? How many will actually read a notice on your site saying "we need you to remove the icon from your "desktop" and then recreate it"?
In addition, I've seem a few posts of more issues than simple "number of notifications".

I think honestly that license holders just lost hope (and maybe trust) in XF devs' timelines, so that's why they are ready to jump pretty fast on add-ons that solve their issues or implement new features they want.
Agreed...and I am pretty sure that's what I already stated. There are tons of bugs being listed as fixed for ANY admin that will take the time to check, and that usually means that a xx.yy.ZZ release is in the near future.
That's why I said at THIS point, I wouldn't go through the hassle of installing a 3rd party add-on and then maybe having issues in the near future.

You really don't think that's an issue? How many will actually read a notice on your site saying "we need you to remove the icon from your "desktop" and then recreate it"?
If it was really helpful for them, and they liked it, they will remove the current app and re-add the new one. It's a process that takes less than 30 seconds to do. If they are too lazy to do so, they can keep using it without notifications like they "used to" a few weeks back.

Anyway, we've developed another add-on to solve this issue. It will probably be published in the next few weeks by @Ozzy47

In addition, I've seem a few posts of more issues than simple "number of notifications".
Not having forward/back and refresh buttons is not an issue. It's more of a feature request. You can move forward/back via touch – iPhone users are doing it for years in many apps.

Agreed...and I am pretty sure that's what I already stated. There are tons of bugs being listed as fixed for ANY admin that will take the time to check, and that usually means that a xx.yy.ZZ release is in the near future.
HYS (just screenshots or a video) of XF 2.3 was also promised to be out in the next "coming weeks". These promises will celebrate a year in the next 2 months. So technically a year is around 52 weeks, but I think this wasn't the intention.

It happened more than once, by various XF devs, so that's why users just don't really believe this anymore. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes and what are the challenges devs are facing, but as was stated in many other threads across the board in the last few years, communication (mainly since Mike left) is not that great about development plans and timelines, so at least this should be improved.

I don't want to say it but why are we always like the teams facing relegation in sports who are always the last ones in the standings?

Feb 16 | iOS 16.4 Beta release

----- 34days -----
Mar 22 | Invision Community releases their integration

----- 39days -----
Mar 27 | iOS 16.4 release

----- 44days -----
Apr 1 | OzzModz addon release

----- 65days -----
Apr 22 and ongoing | nothing

Last edited:
It happened more than once, by various XF devs, so that's why users just don't really believe this anymore.
Historically, when we've seen this many bugs addressed this quickly, it's a VERY strong indicator that at least a point release is near.... now, what all "goodies" that gives extra remains to be seen.

Top Bottom