Running Windows on Macbook

I've been using Virtualbox and it's good enough for most things. The only real advantage VMWare or Parallels give is mildly better graphics performance. Virtualbox will be fine for most uses though.

It does also let you resize the virtual disks.

Here are some previews:
Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 16.28.40.webpScreen Shot 2012-12-30 at 16.28.57.webpScreen Shot 2012-12-30 at 16.29.03.webpScreen Shot 2012-12-30 at 16.30.26.webpScreen Shot 2012-12-30 at 16.30.44.webpScreen Shot 2012-12-30 at 16.31.06.webp

You'll love the Coherence feature.

I have a program that records sound. After the sound is recorded it generates a file called sound.wav

If I pause the recording in my regular computer, it stops, then if I press record it will continue to record right where it left off. When I stop the recording and save the file, everything I recorded before and after I paused it, is saved.

In boot camp, if I pause a recording, it actually wipes out everything that I recorded before then starts the file as if it's brand new (same file name). When I stop the recording and save the file, everything I recorded before the last pause is not saved, everything after the last pause is saved.

WTF...

I deleted bootcamp and got my memory back because when using windows 7 the mouse and right and left button, all that stuff was really clunky but when I used windows 8 in vmware fusion it was not. So I deleted bootcamp and then just added windows 7 to vmware fusion and the mouse control was much better. I guess vmware fusion 5 has better drivers or something. I have no idea... but it works. So I should've never messed around with bootcamp in the first place. I give Windows 7 and Windows 8 2gb of ram each, at least 1 processor and 60GB disk space. Everything seems to be running smoothly.

I deleted bootcamp and got my memory back because when using windows 7 the mouse and right and left button, all that stuff was really clunky but when I used windows 8 in vmware fusion it was not. So I deleted bootcamp and then just added windows 7 to vmware fusion and the mouse control was much better. I guess vmware fusion 5 has better drivers or something. I have no idea... but it works. So I should've never messed around with bootcamp in the first place. I give Windows 7 and Windows 8 2gb of ram each, at least 1 processor and 60GB disk space. Everything seems to be running smoothly.
Boot Camp is reliant upon Apple keeping their drivers up-to-date with the latest Windows version. Generally, new drivers only get written with each new version of OS X. Thus, VMware Fusion tends to be a bit better because VMware can constantly update their tools on a regular basis.

Your Windows VM running on a Mac will be the most reliable Windows box you have.

I use to use virtual pc for Windows stuff on my old Mac. This was back in the G3 days with MacOS 9, so no idea if that is even a usable solution with OS X.

Boot Camp is reliant upon Apple keeping their drivers up-to-date with the latest Windows version. Generally, new drivers only get written with each new version of OS X. Thus, VMware Fusion tends to be a bit better because VMware can constantly update their tools on a regular basis.
Ah makes sense. So Apple only upgrades Bootcamp drivers when they have to.

Windows 7 seems slower after I installed xamp and created two different local xenforo forums. I'll give it two more gigs of RAM and another virtual processor.

Running windows in the virtual environments using vmware or parallels has drawbacks as well, with other software installations and functionality. It becomes hit and miss.

Vmware uses more resources than parallels does, for starters, which is why we moved away from it. The next thing is... anyone who tells you you can run windows 7 or 8 with 2gb or RAM and expect it to do much, is full of crap. As you're finding out you need to add more RAM to get things happening, which means loosing RAM from mac.

This is why... if using vmware or parallels, your mac MUST use 16gb of RAM or more, minimum, for effective dual OS to be run without issues. If you're using graphics intensive programs in both, then 32gb and assign equal portion to both... providing your system is 64bit and dependent on windows version: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_8

We have trialled and errored this area over the last couple years, coming to the above conclusions after lots of expert advice from mac techs who have used these setups. Bootcamp was the preferred installation method because it gives certain advantages to some softwares that simply won't run in a true virtual OS. When running in bootcamp and brought into Mac, it isn't actually a virtual environment, but literally two complete OS running within the one.

Also found SSD / flash memory being the better solution compared to older spinning drives when running dual OS.

Not sure why you're using XAMP instead of MAMP, when on a mac? You're always better with the native OS than the virtual software install programs, especially as you kicked bootcamp and went entirely virtual. Running a virtual server in a virtual OS, using limited RAM oozes slowness and issues.

Windows 8 runs just fine on VMware Fusion for me. I'm using an iMac with just 4 GB of RAM... Not sure what makes 16 GB "required."

Windows 8 runs just fine on VMware Fusion for me. I'm using an iMac with just 4 GB of RAM... Not sure what makes 16 GB "required."
I didn't say it wouldn't run. Why don't you start up your system, take a snapshot of your RAM usage, then another with VMWare, then another with Windows, and tell me how much RAM you have left with both OSX +VMWare + Win8 running, then you can tell me whether or not your 4Gb of RAM is sufficient to further work with.

You must sit there watching that spinning circle / timer (windows) a lot.

The below is one of our i7, 27" iMacs with 16Gb of RAM, and just starting 10.8 takes around 3.5Gb of RAM. With VMWare or Parallels (have both and tested both, VMWare uses more RAM) open with Windows, that goes to 8Gb used before opening any program.

Whilst it may work, it won't work efficiently and you WILL be sitting around a whole bunch waiting for programs to use VM to process their tasks... which everyone knows is painful.

Geez... even the kid at the mac store knew a system required 8Gb to use a Windows virtual OS as a bare minimum, solely because both have a minimum RAM requirement of 4Gb to run correctly.

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 8.10.25 AM.webp

Last edited:
Why do you keep saying "required?" If it will run on 4 GB of RAM, then it contradicts that 8 GB is "required."

You must sit there watching that spinning circle / timer (windows) a lot.

Only when I first start up VMware Fusion, and generally because things like updates are loading, as well as background services. Once that passes, I generally get very good performance from my Windows VM. I do occasionally get beach balls, as you mentioned, but when I'm doing mundane tasks, it's quite responsive and works fine for me.

Certainly, the more RAM the better, no question about that, but I still get very good performance on 4 GB of RAM. At some point I'm sure I'll upgrade to 8 GB or more, maybe when Windows 9 comes out.

Does anyone run Windows on their Macbook? How many GB of RAM do you give Windows and what version of Windows?

Also noticed that in VMware fusion it now requires me to download vmware tools in order to share after I upgraded it.

Top Bottom