Running Windows on Macbook

Apple's one short coming is they charge far to much for their hardware.
I wonder if they even would charge less if it generated more sales and profit. If it meant giving up their reputation as 'virus free' computer, would it really be better to increase sales? I bet Jobs has left some marketing guidelines about that.

BTW there is a premium for the quality also, clearly noticeable in the used materials, the internal design and building quality, some innovative features... Even if they lowered prices, they could not possibly sell it for the same price as a Dell or Samsung.

I wonder if they even would charge less if it generated more sales and profit. If it meant giving up their reputation as 'virus free' computer, would it really be better to increase sales? I bet Jobs has left some marketing guidelines about that.

BTW there is a premium for the quality also, clearly noticeable in the used materials, the internal design and building quality, some innovative features... Even if they lowered prices, they could not possibly sell it for the same price as a Dell or Samsung.
There is a large gap between the value of their hardware and the price for it.

The only thing I see that is equal to the value and price are their certified hard drives. I understand that often those drives are made by a 3rd party (Seagate or Western Digital). But for whatever reason those little suckers take a licking and keep on ticking.

The hard drive in my PC is from Apple (Seagate). My ex wife tossed it out the 3rd floor window, 4 years ago, and it's still working. Another PC in my house has an Apple Drive also and it's been working as well.

Yet when I buy any other drive from anywhere else from anyone else... I end up replacing it within 2 years.

Everything else Apple sells in terms of hardware does not justify the price and you're only paying for the brand name. Period.

I can actually build an Apple Computer for less.

You're right the logic board, memory, CPU, all that is exactly the same. So in that respect you pay for the name. The way it is build in is different though. Not sure about the HDDs. I know in the laptops the mechanism doesn't use screws to the sides, it's some rubber or plastic. HDDs are very sensitive so any soft material could reduce that sensitivity and catch some of the shock. AFAIK the HDDs themselves are the same. Maybe they got a better quality control?

You're right the logic board, memory, CPU, all that is exactly the same. So in that respect you pay for the name. The way it is build in is different though. Not sure about the HDDs. I know in the laptops the mechanism doesn't use screws to the sides, it's some rubber or plastic. HDDs are very sensitive so any soft material could reduce that sensitivity and catch some of the shock. AFAIK the HDDs themselves are the same. Maybe they got a better quality control?
I've often wondered as to why myself...... Quality control or maybe they have something "unknown" different in design. Not exactly sure.

I just know that I typically find that their hard drives are good for the value and anything else isn't justifiable for the price they ask for.

If they made an affordable Mac Pro (Apple PC)... They'd make a killing (in my opinion).

As I said before. You buy an Apple computer for say, $1000. In 3 years its still worth $900 when you resell it.

You buy a crappy plastic Windows box for the same price and it looses most of its value the second you unwrap it.

You're paying for the quality control, and most importantly, the unquestionably guarantee. On several occasions over the years I've walked into an Appleshop with a laptop I've dropped, had a bad drive, dead pixels, etc - its either been fixed or replace on the spot.

Thats what I pay for - quality of service.

The cost of the OS is also mainly absorbed into the price, and lets face it, Windows still has nothing on OS X.

lol I still don't have Windows 7 installed on my Macbook properly. I can't get bootcamp to work. I'll try again while playing Halo 4.

It's worth to order a Paralles 8.0 for your Macbook Pro. You can have 5 machines in 1. All are running fine.

Screen Shot 2012-12-25 at 7.06.04 AM.webp

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on a BOOTCAMP partition on my MacBook Pro late 2012 model. But something wired is going on. When I tried to install Windows 7 Pro on the bootcamp partition from the official install DVD that I own, the install went trough just fine, but the network controller wasn't working at all, even after installing BootCamp. It wouldn't connect wirelessly or by wire to the Internet, no matter what I did. Then I booted into Mac OS X, erased the Windows installation, re-made the bootcamp partition and installed a pirated version of Windows 7 Ultimate and everything works fine now - even the network controller works fine. Did any of you experience that problem? Installing from the official install DVD would't work out 100 %, but installing a pirated version of Windows will get everything working just fine.

Anyway, I've installed Parallels Desktop so I don't have to switch between the two OS constantly and everything works so far on the new Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz processor and 4 GB of DDR3 1600 MHz RAM.

But seriously... the wired install issue. Has anyone expreienced it?

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on a BOOTCAMP partition on my MacBook Pro late 2012 model. But something wired is going on. When I tried to install Windows 7 Pro on the bootcamp partition from the official install DVD that I own, the install went trough just fine, but the network controller wasn't working at all, even after installing BootCamp. It wouldn't connect wirelessly or by wire to the Internet, no matter what I did. Then I booted into Mac OS X, erased the Windows installation, re-made the bootcamp partition and installed a pirated version of Windows 7 Ultimate and everything works fine now - even the network controller works fine. Did any of you experience that problem? Installing from the official install DVD would't work out 100 %, but installing a pirated version of Windows will get everything working just fine.

Anyway, I've installed Parallels Desktop so I don't have to switch between the two OS constantly and everything works so far on the new Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz processor and 4 GB of DDR3 1600 MHz RAM.

But seriously... the wired install issue. Has anyone expreienced it?
The official crap is crap, that's why I tried the link above your post. It works fine.

As I said before. You buy an Apple computer for say, $1000. In 3 years its still worth $900 when you resell it.

You buy a crappy plastic Windows box for the same price and it looses most of its value the second you unwrap it.

You're paying for the quality control, and most importantly, the unquestionably guarantee. On several occasions over the years I've walked into an Appleshop with a laptop I've dropped, had a bad drive, dead pixels, etc - its either been fixed or replace on the spot.

Thats what I pay for - quality of service.

The cost of the OS is also mainly absorbed into the price, and lets face it, Windows still has nothing on OS X.
I ignored it because it's irrelevant for the majority of consumers. The vast majority of people who purchase a computer do not care about the resell value and will continue using their computer until it is obsolete and needs replacing.

Manufacturers warranties and store warranties are just as good or sometimes even better then Apple. Ironically, most people forget about them or never take the time to actually use them (even when they're from Apple). I like to think it's stupidity not to do so.

Like yourself, I walked right into the local Best Buy with an HP computer 3 years old, just about broken in 1/2, and was very much surprised to be given a replacement. Those store warranties do hold their value and at a more affordable price then Apple.... As do most manufacturers warranties or extended warranties.

I ignored it because it's irrelevant for the majority of consumers. The vast majority of people who purchase a computer do not care about the resell value and will continue using their computer until it is obsolete and needs replacing.

Manufacturers warranties and store warranties are just as good or sometimes even better then Apple. Ironically, most people forget about them or never take the time to actually use them (even when they're from Apple). I like to think it's stupidity not to do so.

Like yourself, I walked right into the local Best Buy with an HP computer 3 years old, just about broken in 1/2, and was very much surprised to be given a replacement. Those store warranties do hold their value and at a more affordable price then Apple.... As do most manufacturers warranties or extended warranties.
You're lucky then. Over here (UK) generally if you take a computer in to the place you bought it (e.g PCWorld, Currys, John Lewis or any supermarket) they won't do anything for you and just tell you to phone dell/hp/Sony/etc and send it off for repair.

In any case I'd rather pay for the quality control that comes with a mac. I've got a bunch of very old macs that still run perfectly, no loud clunky fans, no cracked plastic, etc.

Obviously it's all down to personal preference however.

The official crap is crap, that's why I tried the link above your post. It works fine.

You misunderstood me. The bootcamp drivers downloaded fine and I was able to install them in both cases, but when I installed Windows 7 Pro from the official DVD, the network adapter driver wouldn't work even after installing BootCamp (and I think the sound & display drivers as well). But when I installed a pirated version of Windows 7 Ultimate, I had no problems with any drivers. The official crap - as you called it - works perfectly fine. So I believe the issue lies with the installation source for the OS: it being the official install DVD or a ISO file, downloaded from the Internet.

In most cases you'll have zero reason to install or use bootcamp. For high-intensity games you may find that 1 or 2 really wont work under OS X. But in MOST cases either Crossover or a Cider port will work fine (in a few cases, BETTER).

Take Tropico 4 - there is no offical mac version. Build a Cider port and I found it works better under OS X than it does via Bootcamp - and its then effectively running as a native mac app!

EA do it with all their games now, they all come in a Cider wrapper and work fully natively under OS X without any problems.

The only time you should ever need to use bootcamp is if you've got a game that integrates strictly with the core OS. The only games that ever seem to do this is games created by Microsoft (e.g flight simulator).

I use VMWare Fusion and have my bootcamp of Windows 7 on it and a virtual disk of Windows 8.

I won't be using Windows 8 much. I noticed that the disk size is 60GB. I would only need 20GB.

It won't let me shrink it to below 60GB. Do any of you have experience shrinking the disk size in VMWare Fusion?

Top Bottom