Routes and waypoints with Google Maps for directions. GPX format import and export.

Mouth

Looking to see if there is any interest in an add-on that will enable your users to utilise Google Maps for entering their route waypoints ( pins ), and enabling others to score/rate and comment on those routes (see video below if your not familiar with this functionality in Google Maps). They can create/enter the waypoints/pins manually by clicking on the map or entering GPS coordinates, as well as importing/exporting of waypoint coordinates in standard GPX format for GPS devices. Usages include driving, motorcycling, racing, rallying, trucking, trip planning, camper van'ing, geocaching, tours, walking, roadtrips, bicycling, hiking, flying, storm chasing, skating, etc. Basically mapping anything that moves, or you want it/them to move :)

This will enable sites that have mobile based niche/interests to have their members add their favourite routes and trips, and get them scored/rated and commented upon by other users. Users can then export out those routes to their GPS device to follow themselves, or use the GPS to record their route/trip and then upload it to your site to show on Google Maps embedded. You would create a listing of your users most popular routes/trips, complete with maps and waypoints and allowing users to download them to their GPS device. As a phase 2, if this functionality is supported and wanted, we could even look at extending it even further with things like awarding trophy points for route creation and reaching xx score for a route, etc. I'm even thinking a phase 3 with a little iOS/Android app that a user could start/open that would use the devices GPS to record waypoints every xx minutes, and then automatically upload those recorded waypoints into your XF site at the appropriate input time.

The GOOD news .... We already have a terrific add-on that is very close to the above, Hotspots, but currently it only takes a single location. I have discussed with the developer for extending the add-on to including the above functionality for routes and waypoints, and he is happy to develop the additional functionality and has provided a quotation via PM for 6 hours development.

I'm looking for interested parties that are willing to contribute $$ to the development costs to get this terrific additional functionality added to Hotspots. Unfortunately it's a bit out of my budget to fund it alone. Only needs 2 or 3 others to split the cost, or several to contribute what you can afford and I'm sure we'll make this a reality. Imagine the below functionality embedded within your XF site, but with all the added benefit of community interaction and engagement. Reply here, or drop me a PM if your prefer, if you would like to contribute to funding this. Or even click that like link if you think it's a great idea and would like to see it developed ;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looking to see if there is any interest in an add-on that will enable your users to utilise Google Maps for entering their route waypoints ( pins ), and enabling others to score/rate and comment on those routes (see video below if your not familiar with this functionality in Google Maps). They can create/enter the waypoints/pins manually by clicking on the map or entering GPS coordinates, as well as importing/exporting of waypoint coordinates in standard GPX format for GPS devices. Usages include driving, motorcycling, racing, rallying, trucking, trip planning, camper van'ing, geocaching, tours, walking, roadtrips, bicycling, hiking, flying, storm chasing, skating, etc. Basically mapping anything that moves, or you want it/them to move :)

This will enable sites that have mobile based niche/interests to have their members add their favourite routes and trips, and get them scored/rated and commented upon by other users. Users can then export out those routes to their GPS device to follow themselves, or use the GPS to record their route/trip and then upload it to your site to show on Google Maps embedded. You would create a listing of your users most popular routes/trips, complete with maps and waypoints and allowing users to download them to their GPS device. As a phase 2, if this functionality is supported and wanted, we could even look at extending it even further with things like awarding trophy points for route creation and reaching xx score for a route, etc. I'm even thinking a phase 3 with a little iOS/Android app that a user could start/open that would use the devices GPS to record waypoints every xx minutes, and then automatically upload those recorded waypoints into your XF site at the appropriate input time.

The GOOD news .... We already have a terrific add-on that is very close to the above, Hotspots, but currently it only takes a single location. I have discussed with the developer for extending the add-on to including the above functionality for routes and waypoints, and he is happy to develop the additional functionality and has provided a quotation via PM for 6 hours development.

I'm looking for interested parties that are willing to contribute $$ to the development costs to get this terrific additional functionality added to Hotspots. Unfortunately it's a bit out of my budget to fund it alone. Only needs 2 or 3 others to split the cost, or several to contribute what you can afford and I'm sure we'll make this a reality. Imagine the below functionality embedded within your XF site, but with all the added benefit of community interaction and engagement. Reply here, or drop me a PM if your prefer, if you would like to contribute to funding this. Or even click that like link if you think it's a great idea and would like to see it developed ;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It would be good to for us to know how much the total cost is...

It would be good to for us to know how much the total cost is...
Yes, but I'm not sure on the etiquette or appropriateness of sharing this widely without developers approval? I've asked him anyways, and awaiting a response.
If you're genuinely interested, I'm happy to add you to the PM containing what you ask.

Can you post the detailed specs for this new functionality?
It will be an extension on the current functionality of Hotspots, with ...
  • Embedded GMap will show routes or single locations
  • List tab will show routes or single locations
  • If you click on a route to open it's details page, you will be able to download a GPX file containing the full route. Click on a link to open the list of multiple waypoint lat/long coordinates
  • Creating a new route, you will either be able enter a list of multiple lat/long coordinates to create waypoints or click on the map to place pins for the waypoints, to create your route. Alternatively, upload a GPX file with your waypoints to create/plot the route.

Top Bottom