Roadmap / planned features

• Thread starter Thread starter ragtek
  • Start date Start date
R

ragtek

I spent several days planing and writing code for my feed importer add-on, which became now useless because it's already implemented in beta6.

I know that's hard and xenforo will always implement some features, which were already covered by an add-on, but it would be really nice to have at least a "small list" of planed features for the next version(s) to not spend time with developing things which will became useless:p

I spent several days planing and writing coding for my feed importer add-on, which became now useless because it's already implemented in beta6.

I know that's hard and xenforo will always implement some features, which were already covered by an add-on, but it would be really nice to have at least a "small list" of planed features for the next version(s) to not spend time with developing things which will became useless:p

Although I do agree with you. I think we have to remember... this is BETA software. Which means hacks/mods should "technically" be made after a final release. That way you know what is already out there.

Although I do agree with you. I think we have to remember... this is BETA software. Which means hacks/mods should "technically" be made after a final release. That way you know what is already out there.
That't the reason why i'm "holding back" my real big add-ons (cms, gallery), but why not create already "small but useful" add-ons, to
  • learn how to code add-ons (and to request already code changes/new code events which will be only found, if you code addons)
  • to make something for the community^^

That't the reason why i'm "holding back" my real big add-ons (cms, gallery), but why not create already "small but useful" add-ons, to
  • learn how to code add-ons (and to request already code changes/new code events which will be only found, if you code addons)
  • to make something for the community^^

Hey I never said don't create any.... but don't expect that a lot of these smaller mods won't become a permanent feature used in XF at some point. It's a good way to learn the XF coding scheme. But I see many people being disappointed and really they are kinda asking for it.

I think you just contradicted yourself :p You said it's worth it too make addons, and yet your disappointed that they are standard features now.

Hey I never said don't create any.... but don't expect that a lot of these smaller mods won't become a permanent feature used in XF at some point.

I think you just contradicted yourself :p You said it's worth it too make addons, and yet your disappointed that they are standard features now.
I know that's hard and xenforo will always implement some features, which were already covered by an add-on

That't the reason why i'm "holding back" my real big add-ons (

From my point of view, it would be helpful to have at least an idea of future planned features.

Example: I have been thinking about my desire to have a CMS. I started to weigh, do I use one of the WP bridges available (meaning I have to learn about WP, too) and then have to configure my site to work using those tools...or do I wait to see if XF eventually adds a CMS or if someone (sounds like ragtek, thanks!!!) codes one? So, I have to weigh an investment of my time that may become obsolete and a waste if CMS becomes a standard feature. Or delay in getting my site the way I want it to see what comes out...and if nothing does, then I have to go back to the first course of action.

I could care less about hard dates, but I think it would be helpful to have a roadmap of sorts....it could even be hedged with something like a list of features that WILL happen, features that are LIKELY to happen, and those that are MAYBEs or SOMEDAY features.

I think the new Beta is awesome and I appreciate that Kier and Mike have a lot on their plates. I thought I'd just add my two cents about something that I think would be helpful.

I spent several days planing and writing code for my feed importer add-on, which became now useless because it's already implemented in beta6.
Sorry to hear you wasted your time.
I think Xenforo is still having some sales because of the great addons that you and Jaxel are making RIGHT NOW.
This community feels alive and that progress is being made because of the addon development.
I'm hoping Xenforo and Addon Developers can work together in a fair way.
Any type of roadmap would be great. Heck, you can leave off dates. :)
I just want to know the meat & potatoes coming down the road.
That might help.
i'm "holding back" my real big add-ons (cms, gallery), but why not create already "small but useful" add-ons
That is really unfortunate.
CMS and Gallery: those are the two most popular requests.
I'll argue you should probably start now even if Xenforo is going to release their own Addon soon [here].

One thing to think about here.
vBulletin never really released any good MAJOR Addons.
They never released a popular ANYTHING ! The blog sucked, the CMS took 5 years and sucked, no Gallery, No Nuttin' . Essentially, the relationship between Addon makers and vBulletin was not rocky, because Addon makers were not competing against vBulletin.
I anticipate that Xenforo will be smarter than vBulletin and release MAJOR Addons.
I hope Xenforo + Developers can try to avoid some catastrophes that might arise in 2011.
Unless a strategy is planned, I think there will be some pretty upset coders.
One thing I would fear would be say Jaxel getting really upset about xenforo stepping on his toes with no warnings, he gets upset and stops updating all his Addons. /shudder.

Anyone have some ideas to help avoid Major Catastrophes ?

Q: Should developers start a "Development thread" for addons they start (with some code showing they started) and they might get a little PM from Xenforo if they are actively making something that might be released in the core soon ?

Q: Should developers start a "Development thread" for addons they start (with some code showing they started) and they might get a little PM from Xenforo if they are actively making something that might be released in the core soon ?
This sounds great, but i don't think that they should spend there time with this, because this could be very time consuming, if the community gets activ and start to write many add-ons.
Also there are at least 3 really prof. coders here, who help the others! (spacial thx to shadab:) )
A developer documentation would be IMHO better.
They would need so spend there time only once for this^^

This would mean, that i shouldn't do anything, because also after gold release, add-ons can become useless!
this has been asked countless number of times....

if that is such a BIG problem for you guys, then DONT make addons until GOLD is released. Plain and simple.

Oh dear... a roadmap request... where have I heard that one before?
wink.png

Top Bottom