Rival has just joined my forum

Found it thanks. Anyway one of my new active members has been spooked. They are on both forums and recently said they were on 3 forums and found this one the best (ie mine) - because it's more active! But the owner of the other forum could have messaged them over there and done some smearing and put them off! Ok I know - paranoia - but it's all mind games. I hope we haven't lost a fairly new active member. Although I can't see the point in removing their avatar when their username is still the same.

Found it thanks. Anyway one of my new active members has been spooked. They are on both forums and recently said they were on 3 forums and found this one the best (ie mine) - because it's more active! But the owner of the other forum could have messaged them over there and done some smearing and put them off! Ok I know - paranoia - but it's all mind games. I hope we haven't lost a fairly new active member. Although I can't see the point in removing their avatar when their username is still the same.
You can see if they messaged them by looking at myphpadmin through your host

Ok so I should have just banned that rival forum owner when they joined. I have just lost a lovely member as a direct result. Not sure what has happened but some time after 2.30pm the newish lovely member has deleted everything - essentially shut down their account - removed all photos and videos. I think they have either been intimidated off (by this person) as they are a member of both forums - or some kind of smear campaign via messaging on the other forum (I can see they are online there!). I can't have someone upsetting members on my forum.

Ok - looks like it is all out war against my forum! Not joining to partake but to disrupt. I've restricted from viewing threads, starting or receiving conversations, or posting threads without approval. Anything else? I expect it will be a smear campaign next!

Thanks. Yes I did that. As well as a welcome message when they joined, I had sent a direct polite friendly message - yesterday. To which there has been no response. Neither did they respond to all the welcome messages on their introductory post.

I am not keen on restricting the account but can't be having members upset on the forum.

Just close the account (and any others they create). They don't have a "right" to membership, and as the owner you can allow/disallow whomever you want. It'll be too late if the disruption causes lots of your members to leave.

If you don't want to do that, just remove their PM permissions and put them in moderation - so everything they post has to be approved and you can review what they are posting and block any nonsense.

Not sure what has happened but some time after 2.30pm the newish lovely member has deleted everything - essentially shut down their account
Is this the one you were screwing with their account settings? If so, I'd be rather pissed also and would give serious consideration to leaving a site that the admin changes my personal settings for their benefit.. You have the ability to start conversations with ANYONE regardless of their settings if you have your system set correctly for admin/moderators.

No they had already gone. Mr Lucky said how to message them if their settings were all turned off so I've got that sussed now.

I have got to the bottom of it now. The member who left replied to my message and was very pleased to get my message. It was as I thought - they had been intimidated to leave when the rival forum owner joined up and posted on their thread.

Apparently they had asked to close their account on the other forum and no one was replying to messages and they were getting a bit miffed. Next thing the owner of that forum appeared on my forum and posted on their thread. It wasn't particularly bad but clearly undermined what I had written on the thread. So it was a hissy fit by the sound of it.

Quite a few of my members are on more than one forum and why shouldn't they be. So for another forum owner to join up and make them feel uncomfortable is not on.

So the recently left member is now considering coming back now I have said that the other forum owner won't be on there any more.

It would be good to have a chat with the other forum owner but they didn't respond to me. Maybe they thought I had smeared their forum (which I have not and am busy running my own) and that's why the other member wanted to leave so came on mine and caused a bit of trouble. Although subtly.

At the moment though the other forum owner will know they are blocked from posting and viewing threads and it would be better to discuss the matter as people will join both forums because they're both at the top of google and I don't want that happening again.,

Alvin, If this saga were a TV soap opera, who would play you, and who would play the baddie, the other forum owner? :)
This is the continued from the last year :)
You don`t remember the drama weeks... the back and forward... it was captivating series :)

Top Bottom