Rival has just joined my forum

All is back to normal. Member is back now the other forum owner is restricted. Have attempted polite discussion/messaging off forum with the other forum owner but doubt I'll get a response.

Why sweat it... moderation is your friend.
Competition happens, and frequently another site owner may come poaching.
Honest question... do you spend as much time on creating topical posts as you do worrying about folks trying to "invade" your site?

Why sweat it... moderation is your friend.
Competition happens, and frequently another site owner may come poaching.
Honest question... do you spend as much time on creating topical posts as you do worrying about folks trying to "invade" your site?
Yes. This is only the second issue in 6 months.

Ok so still looking for a bit of support here. After a couple of courteous emails, this person is still emailing me to let them back on and telling me this isn’t how admin and moderating works. Ie still bossing me about and treating me like I don’t know what I’m doing (which is what I can expect if they’re a member - undermining me on my own forum - which is why I restricted the account partly in the first place.. I think all I can do is ignore now. They can view but not post currently. Same thing would only happen again - ie members get stressed about it.

Thing is if you are involved in similar things/meetings in the real world I wanted to keep things fairly amicable but not going so well so far.

You cannot control a situation (or relationship). You can only control yourself. Set rules/guidelines that make you comfortable and then live by them.

If it were me, and I've extended an olive branch and the offer was not accepted in good faith, I'd cut ties (ie. ignore) and not give it a second thought. YMMV.

If it were me, and I've extended an olive branch and the offer was not accepted in good faith, I'd cut ties (ie. ignore) and not give it a second thought. YMMV.
Me too Id probably part with something very short along the lines of

OK, I gave it my best shot but I can see we aren't seeing things the same way so let's just call it a day. Wishing you the best....

Thanks. Yes there is no point in further dialogue. The last message was veiled blackmail. The hint is if I don’t let them back on they could smear me to people but I’m ignoring that. The forum is doing well and has respect and I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing. I had left it as “for now”better to just post on our respective forums and can keep in touch now and then (pleasantly said) ie give it some time. But if I’m bombarded every day I’m just not responding any more.

I am hardly like to want to change my mind either if accused of being unfair and incompetent (not directly worded like that but saying something isn't fair and this is not how admin behave is the same thing).

I think I just won't reply any further - at least for a while. I've always had a rule not to respond to insulting messages.

I have two forums on different topics. One - the older one - there is never an issue - it's like clockwork. People just post normally. This one - completely different kettle of fish with people trying to sound superior on the topic and getting too intense! This is the third incident. The first two were easily dealt with. Different topics have different foibles I guess.

I have two forums on different topics. One - the older one - there is never an issue - it's like clockwork. People just post normally. This one - completely different kettle of fish with people trying to sound superior on the topic and getting too intense! This is the third incident. The first two were easily dealt with. Different topics have different foibles I guess.
If you post on their forum give them a taste of their own medicine back. If they ban you do the same and range ban their ip addresses. Range banning is this 20.11.*

I've just left their account restricted and replied I hear what they say but the terms and conditions are at the bottom of the forum page.

And of course the terms and conditions say "We may terminate your access to all or any part of the Service at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice."

I won't be replying again. If I close the account they could just join up again or use a vpn maybe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom