XF 1.5 Revoking node permission doesn't work

jauburn

Goal: To hide a node for a specific user group ("full member" in the case below).

Problem: When I revoke the permission to view the node for "full member," "full member" user group can still see the node.

Why is that? Thanks.

revoke.webp

You have set a node view permission for the Registered group. You don't need to do this as Registered have a global view permission already. The reason it isn't working is because of this:

Allow + Revoke = Overall Yes

whereas Inherited Allow + Revoke = Overall No

See this resource for more information:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/

So basically set the view permission for the Registered group in the New Member Forum to Not Set (No) but leave the rest as it is.

You have set a node view permission for the Registered group. You don't need to do this as Registered have a global view permission already. The reason it isn't working is because of this:

Allow + Revoke = Overall Yes

whereas Inherited Allow + Revoke = Overall No

See this resource for more information:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/

So basically set the view permission for the Registered group in the New Member Forum to Not Set (No) but leave the rest as it is.

Right. Here's the issue, though. If a registered user has the "full member" user group as a secondary user group and that secondary user group has view permission revoked for New Member Forum, he still is able to see the New Member forum. In other words, revoking view permission of "full member" user group does not seem to have any effect.

The desired effect is for Registered users to see the New Member forum but "full member" users not to see it.

Thanks for your help, by the way.

Have you removed the View permission in the node for the Registered group as I suggested?

You mean by clicking either Inherit or Revoke? If so, then yes. However, either choice removes the New Member forum from view of Registered users (without the "full member" additional group), and that's the opposite of what I want.

inherit.webp

Essentially I'm wanting users tagged with "full member" as an additional group to lose the view of the New Member forum.

You must have something set incorrectly. If the Registered group have the View Node permission set to Allow, then if the New Members node has Inherit set as the View Node permission for Registered then they will be able to see it.

YHave you ticked the option to make the node private? If so, untick it.

You must have something set incorrectly

I think I have it sorted. Due to some prior fiddling, I set the node as "private." When I unchecked that, the permissions seem to be working. Thanks for your help.

I always have to take a few deep breaths before diving into these permissions. They always end up confusing me.

IMO setting the node to "Private" and explicitly setting user groups to Allow to see the node is a good way to do restrict nodes. However in this particular case where you are restricting full members and allowing Registered members only, the way I suggested is what is needed.

Yeah, I lit upon the "private node" idea when trying to sort all of this out. It was a suggestion by @Jake Bunce in some thread that led me to try the private node thing.

Top Bottom