Revitalize layout for competitive landscape to increase traffic and retention

vbresults

I was looking over this old suggestion and thought about how competition for forums has changed over the years. As a consumer, I used to browse forums every day. Now, I almost never browse forums; instead, I use Reddit to do the same.

This can increase traffic and retention of users. A lot of big forums already have similar features through custom add-on's, but it's not nearly as streamlined as Reddit. This can bring that advantage to every forum.

There are 3 fundamental things that one does on Reddit. 1. watch a feed about topics that you are interested in (homepage feeds) 2. read about or find information on a topic, and 3. ask a question on a topic or provide commentary or an answer.

The broad suggestion is to update the layout to mimic those three aspects of reddit. The changes in 2.2 were a step in the right direction, but were only centered around the last item. This suggestion is probably closer to what the devs were envisioning.

This is what the old "What's new" page looks like (and I almost never used it on any forum):
WhatsNewBefore.png

This is what the new "What's new" page (and forum homepage) looks like:
WhatsNewAfter.png

The actionable suggestions are to:

1. Replace "What's new" as shown above, and make it the default homepage instead of the forum list ("Browse Forums" is there for people who want that) and allow upvoting/downvoting on the OP (but minimum of 0 display value like Reddit).

This would have media support (like attachments, external links, images and videos), but the admin decides what post types are allowed on a per-forum basis, and then when posting, the user would select the post type.

These feeds would also have RSS links to the original posts (but not comments, only updating the timestamp on a reply so people come back), and add developer hooks and an interface so custom feed types can be added.

2. Make efficient use of space and do away with showing extraneous information like views (the latter is superseded by votes); on desktop, make efficient use of space on the screen and also use sidebars the way reddit does (subforum description, rules, moderators, etc.)

3. Implement a threaded comment structure like Reddit where after X replies to a comment, you have to click on a link to load the rest; as part of this, the post box would need to be streamlined and likes hidden in favor of votes

4. Allow admins to set a background photo, font, and text colors per subforum as subreddits do; less extreme than a theme shift per-forum

5. On install/upgrade, let admins choose a layout: "Reddit-like" (default for installs), "Quora-like", or "Classic forum" (d. for upgrades). Some websites have specific use-cases or don't want to change it, that's their choice

Reddit is great, but it has its weaknesses being highly centralized, larping, anonymous unaccountable mods, etc. I can develop these features privately for clients like I did with the older suggestion, but I know this could be a godsend for admins at large.

Last edited:
Upvote 45
So every thread essentially becomes a question thread..?

I quite like it. Would all replies be up/down voteable too?

I don't use reddit, can you tell..? :D

Conceptually any improvement to the flow and discoverability of information would be a significant upgrade tot he current system. Continued point solutions have value but at some point a new concept will need to take hold.

Last edited:
any improvement to the flow and discoverability of information would be a significant upgrade tot he current system.
Well that stands to reason... by definition an improvement will be an upgrade. However we so often see radical changes touted as an improvement when they aren't. So maybe it's worth the wait while developers make sure big changes really are an improvement rather than just changes that may or may not be an upgrade.

Well that stands to reason... by definition an improvement will be an upgrade. However we so often see radical changes touted as an improvement when they aren't. So maybe it's worth the wait while developers make sure big changes really are an improvement rather than just changes that may or may not be an upgrade.
Maybe I didn't phrase well. My argument is that continued point solutions can only take Xenforo so far. The flow of information and discoverability has not changed outside of point solutions. Threads and posts are the core of any forum software but the flow and discoverability of threads has not changed.

How do we take the current system of forum -> thread -> post and make it more engaging? I am not suggesting it is a bad system but there is always a better solution. How do we change the experience of the users drastically without eliminating the core )threads -> posts) of what it means to be a forum.

I don't use Reddit at all so excuse me if these questions sound a little naive.

How does voting equate to watching a feed about topics I might be interested in? Unless lead by the nose, forums are rather poor at finding similar content or have I missed the point?

Does infinite scrolling play a part in your vision?

As you've already made UI decisions based on view-port sizes would it not be advantageous to go with that rather than restrict similar choices at install time? I think there's a real case to be made for having variable output for different devices.

Although I can't comment on Reddit I do think much of what you are proposing would be hugely beneficial to way my forums are accessed, especially on mobile devices.

5. On install/upgrade, let admins choose a layout: "Reddit-like" (default for installs), "Quora-like", or "Classic forum" (d. for upgrades). Some websites have specific use-cases or don't want to change it, that's their choice
I would tend to make "Forum" (I would drop the "Classic" part) the default install, with "Reddit" and "Quora" layouts as options. It's really the most basic and what a lot of people are still looking for if they are coming to software like this. But that's a quibble, not a real problem.

@zappaDPJ Votes help to stimulate engagement by floating the best content to the top of the feed on whichever timescale/tab you chose. I have ideas for discovering similar content but that’s outside the scope of this suggestion.

The long-term vision I have for this is seeing it as a native mobile app, so infinite scroll is a given. VerticalScope has a platform called Fora which has a “whats new” feed with infinite scroll. It’s the homepage of all their properties.

Implementing device-variable layouts on a technical level is super trivial so I wouldn’t rule it out. If statistically that turns out to produce a better user experience and more engagement then sure, why not.

I am done developing and releasing add-ons for the resources section here but do make them for clients. If you want these kinds of tools or such an app made for your forum, send a message to dev@vbresults.com. Again though, out of scope so I’ll leave it there.

@zappaDPJ Votes help to stimulate engagement by floating the best content to the top of the feed on whichever timescale/tab you chose. I have ideas for discovering similar content but that’s outside the scope of this suggestion.

The long-term vision I have for this is seeing it as a native mobile app, so infinite scroll is a given. VerticalScope has a platform called Fora which has a “whats new” feed with infinite scroll. It’s the homepage of all their properties.

Implementing device-variable layouts on a technical level is super trivial so I wouldn’t rule it out. If statistically that turns out to produce a better user experience and more engagement then sure, why not.

I am done developing and releasing add-ons for the resources section here but do make them for clients. If you want these kinds of tools or such an app made for your forum, send a message to dev@vbresults.com. Again though, out of scope so I’ll leave it there.
Thanks for your detailed reply, it's given me something to think about :)

I know. But they call Fora a platform.
What is a platform though?

harry potter GIF

What is a platform though?

harry potter GIF
Heh heh.

A platform is just a set of code that you can then build something out of. So Xenforo is a platform that we then style, add to, etc. to create our sites. At work, we used Microsoft Dynamics 365/CRM as a platform to build our EHR and billing system.

Fora is a bit of an oddball, at least as I understand it, because they used XF 2.1 as a platform to then build another platform that then hosts sites. Seems a bit overcomplicated to this ape, but whatever.

Top Bottom