1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Returning HTTP 503 Error Codes with Nginx During Maintenance

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by DeltaHF, Oct 4, 2013.

1. DeltaHF

DeltaHF Well-Known Member

I'm going to convert my vBulletin forum to XenForo, and I want to close off the /forum/ subdirectory of my site during the process and return a custom 503 error page. Of course, I still need to be able to access the subdirectory from my IP address while this is going on. I'm using Nginx and PHP-FPM.

Here's my first attempt at a relevant location block, assuming my IP address is 0.0.0.0. It blocks public requests to static files in the /forum/ directory, but PHP files can still be accessed by anyone.

Code:
            location ^~ /forum/
            {
                    if ($remote_addr != "0.0.0.0")
                    {
                            return 503;
                    }

include /usr/local/nginx/conf/php.conf;
            }

If I remove the "include" which loads in my php.conf, then I can't execute PHP files in the directory myself, which is obviously a requirement. Any ideas how I can get this working?

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. DeltaHF

DeltaHF Well-Known Member

Thanks. That does stop the PHP scripts from being executed.

Now I just need to figure out how to get "deny all" to throw a 503 instead of a 403.

EDIT: Yeah, doesn't look like there's any way to do that... I don't want to return 403's while my forum is converting. Ugh. Is there really no way to do this?

EDIT 2: I figured this out! See http://serverfault.com/a/544056/192616.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013