restrict Forum view ?

erich37

how do I make a specific Forum being viewable only for registered members and only for people over the age of 18 ?

You must be 18 or older to view or post in this forum.

Many thanks!

how do I make a specific Forum being viewable only for registered members

Go to your:

Admin CP -> Users -> Node Permissions -> [click the forum]

Make it a private node and click Update:

Screen shot 2011-02-24 at 11.38.49 AM.webp

Then grant access to the Registered group (in the same area):

Admin CP -> Users -> Node Permissions -> [click the forum] -> [click Registered]

Set Allow permissions.

The nature of a private node is that everyone is denied access except those which you explicitly allow.

and only for people over the age of 18 ?

If you can think of a way to verify people's age during registration...

You might consider just adding a notice with a warning that you must be 18 years or older. See this thread:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/message-for-your-guests.5934/

hmmm.... the age verification which we have by default at the registration-page:
when I enter into ACP "Age restriction: 18" , I assume anyone entering an age under 18 will get an error-message ?

hmmm.... the age verification which we have by default at the registration-page:
when I enter into ACP "Age restriction: 18" , I assume anyone entering an age under 18 will get an error-message ?

They will be told to correct their age. Which doesn't make much sense if you ask me, as it seems to suggests that they should enter a different date of birth to continue.

I have tried that too with an older Project i was working on some couple years ago.
To try keeping younger Users out of your board is quit impossible. It will only be more interesting for younger users in the end.
All our Users where -HokusPokus- 18 or older :confused:
I dont see a good way to do an Age restriction (i dont know any)

You can give just the Info but what will happen is not in your hands

I have tried that too with an older Project i was working on some couple years ago.
To try keeping younger Users out of your board is quit impossible. It will only be more interesting for younger users in the end.
All our Users where -HokusPokus- 18 or older :confused:
I dont see a good way to do an Age restriction (i dont know any)

You can give just the Info but what will happen is not in your hands

well, there are very strict age restrictions in countries like Germany. Users need to enter their Passport-ID and even send in a copy of their Passport when trying to access certain websites.

Go to your:

Admin CP -> Users -> Node Permissions -> [click the forum]

Make it a private node and click Update:

View attachment 11559

Then grant access to the Registered group (in the same area):

Admin CP -> Users -> Node Permissions -> [click the forum] -> [click Registered]

Set Allow permissions.

The nature of a private node is that everyone is denied access except those which you explicitly allow.

when having a Private Forum (a Forum which is visible to registered members only), is there a chance to show the Forum-node to the public, but when clicking it then it forwards to the "Register Page" (similar as when having User-Profiles not showing publicly, but to registered members only).

Appreciate your help !

when having a Private Forum (a Forum which is visible to registered members only), is there a chance to show the Forum-node to the public, but when clicking it then it forwards to the "Register Page" (similar as when having User-Profiles not showing publicly, but to registered members only).

Appreciate your help !

Nope. But this has been suggested.

Nope. But this has been suggested.

do you know where this has been suggested? Can not find that suggestion. It would definitely be great to show the Forum-Node publicly but granting access for viewing only to registered members.
I guess that kind of feature should not be that much work for Mike to implement....

the other question: what happens with Facebook when having a Forum showing to registered members only ?
Will users be able to recommend threads from that "hidden" Forum to Facebook? That should not be the case as those users want to stay private.
Or would I need to strip-out FB completely in oder to have members staying private?

would you mind sharing the "workaround" code in order to achieve this ?
It's just a standard link forum which you create in the ACP and set the URL as your private forum.

the other question: what happens with Facebook when having a Forum showing to registered members only ?
It will error when being recommended as Facebook won't be able to access the URL.

ACP -> Applications -> Node Permissions

Select the link forum and set it as a Private Node.

Then grant access to the users and groups as required.

that is what I did, but unfortunately the Link-Forum is not showing to guests in the Forum-view.
I would like to show the Node publicly, same as you have.

Not sure what am doing wrong here......

I would like to show the Node publicly, same as you have.
In your previous post you said you wanted to set the URL as a private forum, which is what the instructions above are for.

I'm confused as to what it is you're trying to do exactly.

Set the link forum as a standard node visible to guests.
Set the actual forum it links to as private or not accessible to guests.

Top Bottom