XF 2.1 REST API

Welcome to another HYS for 2.1 and this one's a biggie. If you haven't seen the previous entries about what's coming in XF 2.1, check them out here.

Although Halloween may be over, why not trick the "Watch forum" link into giving you a treat, by getting it send you an email whenever we post about new things in the pipeline.

As I write this, our most popular suggestion was a REST API and with 2.1, it's here. While this is a fairly developer-focused feature on its own, it opens up many more integration options. This will make it easier to get data into or out of XenForo, without having to understand the underlying PHP framework that XF is built on.

The API breaks down into a few distinct components, so let's look at those in turn.

Won't be able to do anything like this unless they add user authentication to it, or at least a way for non super admins to generate API credentials*
@Slavik
Laughing.jpg

I hope devs use this to integrate other social platforms with XF.

Imagine one could grab content from Youtube using its API. Or from reddit.

Or vice versa videos uploaded to the forum will get automatically uploaded to a pre-defined Youtube channel. Obviously all with settings and permissions etc.

Imagine people connecting their XF accounts with Youtube or Instagram accounts. And whenever they upload a picture to the forum, it instantly (with permission) gets uploaded to their instagram accounts. Or Youtube, or Facebook or Twitter. Whatever social platform allows such things.

We need more advanced stuff to get content into the forums and we need to make XF a part of the social media. This is the way how to stay relevant in this modern age of smartphones.

I hope devs use this to integrate other social platforms with XF.

Imagine one could grab content from Youtube using its API. Or from reddit.

Or vice versa videos uploaded to the forum will get automatically uploaded to a pre-defined Youtube channel. Obviously all with settings and permissions etc.

Imagine people connecting their XF accounts with Youtube or Instagram accounts. And whenever they upload a picture to the forum, it instantly (with permission) gets uploaded to their instagram accounts. Or Youtube, or Facebook or Twitter. Whatever social platform allows such things.

We need more advanced stuff to get content into the forums and we need to make XF a part of the social media. This is the way how to stay relevant in this modern age of smartphones.

All of that can be done without this, this would be for other platforms to pull or push data to XenForo, not for XenForo to push/pull data from other platforms

Wow, truly awesome!

Will we be able to get statistics via this? Such as total post and member count etc. I’d be great to show this off on a splash page, “50 members registered on forum” etc.

Oh my... I was thinking I was going to have to build something on my own, but this is simply amazing. Xenforo is becoming A LOT more than just forum software. Great work guys.

I love this feature.

It will let me integrate my forum with my CMS better. Few qustions:

1. Would it be possible to interact with custom fields in user profiles (for example I have a custom field setting for newsletter subscription and I would love to be able to modify it when user unsubscribes using newsletter platform).

2. I really, really need a mobile app solution (83% of users on smartphones, fast operation, easy image uploads and notifications are requested all the time). ATM I'm still using BYO Tapatalk on XF 1.5 and I hate it. What scares me the most is using any kind of a bridging software with this kind of permissions. But if the API is/will be comprehensible, it would be fairly easy to build a mobile application WITHOUT any kind of bridging software (and related upgrades/core compatibility/add-on compatibility/security problems). What are your thoughts on this?

Top Bottom