Responsive options help

Dad.

Hey all, working on a responsive theme and I am dead stuck on a few issues I am having.

1. Editor.

Was wondering if anyone had any opinions, first of all, on how exactly this should be handled. Leave a few options? Or remove mce entirely and leave a textbox. If so, can this be easily done?

2. Dropdown menus.

I know that XenForo has external pages created for pretty much everything that requires a popup menu. Can this be enabled with some setting or command via JS?

I have more questions but this will work for now. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Hey all, working on a responsive theme and I am dead stuck on a few issues I am having.

1. Editor.

Was wondering if anyone had any opinions, first of all, on how exactly this should be handled. Leave a few options? Or remove mce entirely and leave a textbox. If so, can this be easily done?

2. Dropdown menus.

I know that XenForo has external pages created for pretty much everything that requires a popup menu. Can this be enabled with some setting or command via JS?

I have more questions but this will work for now. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

1. A theme without any editor... I don't think it's a good idea and I don't think people will buy or download a theme without this. For editor options, you should let users decide what they want to use. But that's just my opinion. Now to answer your question, removing mce is easy using a simple js command, but that's not the best solution which is to prevent it to load. See how to do this in the MarkItUp addon (when the option to display first Miu is activated), in a few words: use conditionals in the editor template around the code that will initiate the TinyMCE js template..

2. I didn't understand if your question was about dropdown menus or overlay. To easily use overlay, see the first video that Kier made a long time ago.

Well, the theme will be a normal theme unless loaded on a mobile theme. I am mainly worried about appearance of the editor at phone level. At web level, it will be there.

And not quite. I want to essentially remove these popups and dropdowns and have them instead, when clicked, go to the page itself. For example, clicking on the quick nav will go the quick nav page (seen here: http://xenforo.com/community/misc/quick-navigation-menu?selected=node-34) as an example.

Well, the theme will be a normal theme unless loaded on a mobile theme. I am mainly worried about appearance of the editor at phone level. At web level, it will be there.

And not quite. I want to essentially remove these popups and dropdowns and have them instead, when clicked, go to the page itself. For example, clicking on the quick nav will go the quick nav page (seen here: http://xenforo.com/community/misc/quick-navigation-menu?selected=node-34) as an example.

1) On mobile, TinyMCE will not load by default (already a simple textarea by default), except if someone is using the TinyFix and made the choice to load it.
2) What you're asking is similar (even if it's more) than this request in that thread ; I didn't check but I think it's not possible to do all what you want without directly modifying the xenforo.js file.

Now if you only want to disable some "overlays" only on mobiles it should be possible. I've done it with the TinyFix for "inline edit overlay" (see Options=>message=>Enable inline editing of messages).
For the other overlays, just modify the template "page_container_js_body" with TMS , especially this variable _enableOverlays: "{xen:property enableOverlays}" ; use a conditional with the XenForo Mobile helper (or my addon to detect mobile/IE).

1) On mobile, TinyMCE will not load by default (already a simple textarea by default), except if someone is using the TinyFix and made the choice to load it.
2) What you're asking is similar (even if it's more) than this request in that thread ; I didn't check but I think it's not possible to do all what you want without directly modifying the xenforo.js file.

Now if you only want to disable some "overlays" only on mobiles it should be possible. I've done it with the TinyFix for "inline edit overlay" (see Options=>message=>Enable inline editing of messages).
For the other overlays, just modify the template "page_container_js_body" with TMS , especially this variable _enableOverlays: "{xen:property enableOverlays}" ; use a conditional with the XenForo Mobile helper (or my addon to detect mobile/IE).
Would you be able to elaborate on the code necessary? I'm not much of a programmer.

Would you be able to elaborate on the code necessary? I'm not much of a programmer.
First check on your dev board if disable the overlay with modifying the template "page_container_js_body" gives you the expected results.
If yes:
  1. Install TMS
  2. Install this addon
  3. Create an addon (ie: XYZ)
  4. (With TMS) Create a new template modification (Master Style => choose the XYZ addon)
    Target the template: page_container_js_body
    Use the regex replacement

Search for:
    Code:
    #(_enableOverlays:\s*?)"(.+?)",#i

Replace with:
    Code:
    $1"{xen:if '{$visitor.getBrowser.isMobile}', '0','$2'}",
This should work.

I'm not sure the inline edit overlays will be also disable. If not, just look at this file from the TinyFix: Sedo_FixTiny_Listener_ControllerPreDispatch

Well, what I meant was the default resources available. Because I wouldnt want to package an add-on with our skin.

Any update on this?

Again, goal is to eliminate the dropdown menus. What would normally be a modal box or dropdown will be a page.

Top Bottom