Not planned Resources files and dicussions separed, yes but ....

Allan

I find that separate the resources and discussions is not practical because it requires the user to navigate from one to the other, it does not facilitate discussions.

I thought this addon would take over the existing threads and change the look, while incorporating the resources, and no ..

Upvote 17
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I realize that this wouldn't be easy to change now, but it is highly desirable to keep resource discussions within resources themselves, instead of separate threads. There are several reasons for these but let me just state two,

It is bad from a search engine discovery point of view

At the most basic level, search engines like Google rank a page based on the content and keywords present in the page. Having discussions on the resource itself on a different page from the resource release distributes content and prevents one page from being the authority page on that topic. It won't be a problem with something like Add-On releases for Xenforo, for obviously there is no competition between two sites for say a XenPorta discussion, but for people releasing Resources on other things, like Documents or Wallpapers etc. this would be a major impact.

It will reduce discussion on the resources

Often, we read a page and there is something in the comments which prompts us to reply. Now loading another page and then reading and then replying would obviously mean that less people would be replying. Again this is not relevant for XF addons, because here it would actually be beneficial as it may reduce noise discussions (like +1 etc.) but encourage replies where people actually need to post. But again for a site which aims to leverage resources for user activity, people would be posting a lot less on the resource.

------------

Now I am stating the above from experience. I run a fairly busy community on Oracle. We have a Documents section (integrated with Scribd) where we allow members to upload / download technical documents/tutorials/whitepapers etc. Having separate threads from, in our case, docs reduced member activity and we switched to comments on the docs themselves. (However, due to missing alerts/notifications in the downloadsII comments system makes it even worse.)

Of course it goes without saying that the comments system on the Resources should be integrated with the XF experience. (Alerts, Trophy points etc...)

If you agree please like this post.

I find that separate the resources and discussions is not practical because it requires the user to navigate from one to the other, it does not facilitate discussions.

I thought this addon would take over the existing threads and change the look, while incorporating the resources, and no ..
But to have everything in the resources, there will be a mass, too. If you're new to XenForo, it's -IMO- easier to decide, if an addon fits your desires or not.
I think there is only one way to get a nice overview of a resource: a resource can be handled like a forum, where every user can create a new thread. This would help to get things sorted.

Edit: I find it very impolite to ask to move our archives and ask the authors to recreate their threads.
Well this helps to get rid of old addons...

I had a poll on the thread which I created (which is now merged with this one). Can that be added to this thread, please?

Sorry but i don't add a poll.

It was a simple poll. The Question was, Where would you like Resource discussions to be kept. The answers were 1> Separate Threads 2> Resource Page itself.

I realize the ridiculousness of some polls, but if we had say a 5%/95% distribution, it might just make Kier/Mike to re-consider the feedback. Reading through the thread does not give such an instant answer.

I would be obliged if you did, because I am hoping that I don't have to code this myself.

It was a simple poll. The Question was, Where would you like Resource discussions to be kept. The answers were 1> Separate Threads 2> Resource Page itself.

I realize the ridiculousness of some polls, but if we had say a 5%/95% distribution, it might just make Kier/Mike to re-consider the feedback. Reading through the thread does not give such an instant answer.

I would be obliged if you did, because I am hoping that I don't have to code this myself.
I understand, but i don't add a poll to my first post. (not permission)

I personally don't think there is an issue. It auto creates a thread for you. There is a discussion link to click on in the resource. They did say that more features would be added. Maybe in the future there will be a option to either create a thread or have the discussion in the resource itself. Give it some time people.....It was just released today......

as someone new to XF, I can see the advantages of having the actual resources themselves, and the resulting adds/edits/etc by the resource creators being in a place by themselves. At least once you read about them in the forums you can go there to get the newest, most up to date version, etc.

Some of the threads around here about some mods are so long, etc., that's it's hard to keep track of it all, especially when you're not only learning the software, and how this community operates, but also the members involved..

Same deal on the archiving. I know I've read a lot of out of date stuff that you older members already know to bypass cause it's out of date with current versions, etc....

as someone new to XF, I can see the advantages of having the actual resources themselves, and the resulting adds/edits/etc by the resource creators being in a place by themselves. At least once you read about them in the forums you can go there to get the newest, most up to date version, etc.
Which is exactly why it was done this way.
It also avoids having to reserve x number of posts, which is traditionally how it is done in a thread.

Some of the threads around here about some mods are so long, etc., that's it's hard to keep track of it all, especially when you're not only learning the software, and how this community operates, but also the members involved..

Same deal on the archiving. I know I've read a lot of out of date stuff that you older members already know to bypass cause it's out of date with current versions, etc....

I agree and hence my point was that this system is beneficial for Add-On releases as here on XF.com but not ideal for other uses, like my Docs section or say a Game Resource section.

I would not like it for this reason...the whole point in my opinion in having a resource manager is to keep the threads away from the resources ... if you have a question or need support you click on discuss resource...if not it is as easy as can get to decide if a resource is for you as you 'shop around' the manager. Putting the thread back there just adds the clutter right back.

Yeap. I would love to see all related discussions on the same page as the resource, allowing users to create 'threads' inside the resource to keep things tidy and less cluttered.
When you say threads do you mean threads or posts?

If you meant threads, that would mean that each resource would need to create it's own forum as like a child node or something..which could be cool but not knowing the facts I would have to guess that with 5000 forums created by resources there might be some overhead issues at some point? If that is not a problem...it would be kind of cool (though I don't know how realistic it is) if an resource publisher was a moderator of that forum only and could close threads in their addon's forum, and remove post's or threads from public view...it would add a support ticket kind of feel with the ability to open a help ticket of sorts and thus make anyone publishing addons have an easier time tracking and distinguishing support needs and solved issues. Again I don't know the half of what makes this addon work in the first place so this is all guesstimation on my part but even if this was possible, I would still want that forum to be accessed by a link from the resource's main page no matter where the actual node is.

If you meant posts...then I just went along on another one of my wild tangents.

Either way...no matter happens...I am happy...we have a resource manager now :)

I would not like it for this reason...the whole point in my opinion in having a resource manager is to keep the threads away from the resources ... if you have a question or need support you click on discuss resource...if not it is as easy as can get to decide if a resource is for you as you 'shop around' the manager. Putting the thread back there just adds the clutter right back.

When you say threads do you mean threads or posts?

If you meant threads, that would mean that each resource would need to create it's own forum as like a child node or something..which could be cool but not knowing the facts I would have to guess that with 5000 forums created by resources there might be some overhead issues at some point? If that is not a problem...it would be kind of cool (though I don't know how realistic it is) if an resource publisher was a moderator of that forum only and could close threads in their addon's forum, and remove post's or threads from public view...it would add a support ticket kind of feel with the ability to open a help ticket of sorts and thus make anyone publishing addons have an easier time tracking and distinguishing support needs and solved issues. Again I don't know the half of what makes this addon work in the first place so this is all guesstimation on my part but even if this was possible, I would still want that forum to be accessed by a link from the resource's main page no matter where the actual node is.

If you meant posts...then I just went along on another one of my wild tangents.

Either way...no matter happens...I am happy...we have a resource manager now :)
When I say 'thread' I actually mean 'thread'. However, I would make it so threads don't have to be organized only under forums, rather, can be organized under resources as well. So, possibly add a new field to the threads table identifying the container type (resource, forum, etc.) and then set the 'parent_id' to that of the resource id or the thread id, then you won't need a ton of forums created for this. That's probably how I would do it, anyways.

EDIT::

And now that I think about it...this could probably already be done by adding a new node type and some simple filtering.

Top Bottom