Not planned Resources files and dicussions separed, yes but ....

Allan

I find that separate the resources and discussions is not practical because it requires the user to navigate from one to the other, it does not facilitate discussions.

I thought this addon would take over the existing threads and change the look, while incorporating the resources, and no ..

Upvote 17
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
definitely there need to be discussions underneath of the resources.
This would make it easier to discuss with the add-on author and thank him for his work, etc.

Does not make sense to have it all spread around somewhere.....

Please make it all in ONE place.

I imagine that if you install the addon (RM), that then we add resources, and later, delete the addon, all resources are lost?

What's going on there for discussions?

With your suggestion, if the RM was uninstalled it would result in the loss of the resource and all discussion.

The way it is currently implemented, the forum thread would remain so the resource could easily be added to the first post.

With your suggestion, if the RM was uninstalled it would result in the loss of the resource and all discussion.

The way it is currently implemented, the forum thread would remain so the resource could easily be added to the first post.
I think the way I described here would allow for both.

On Xenforo.com, but elsewhere ? (without threads archive)

It was a simple poll. The Question was, Where would you like Resource discussions to be kept. The answers were 1> Separate Threads 2> Resource Page itself.

I realize the ridiculousness of some polls, but if we had say a 5%/95% distribution, it might just make Kier/Mike to re-consider the feedback. Reading through the thread does not give such an instant answer.

I would be obliged if you did, because I am hoping that I don't have to code this myself.

I understand, but i don't add a poll to my first post. (not permission)

Oh ok... Then Brogan, please... pretty please... :(

Again Brogan, please can you add the poll. Allan, the thread creator does not mind.

I personally don't think there is an issue. It auto creates a thread for you. There is a discussion link to click on in the resource. They did say that more features would be added. Maybe in the future there will be a option to either create a thread or have the discussion in the resource itself. Give it some time people.....It was just released today......
Maybe devs want to keep all discussions in forums to not hurt, well, forums here. I just hope there'll be an option to have resource discussions in the RM when it becomes available for the rest of us.

Also, if you were to keep the discussions under the resource, you could let the resource "owner" moderate their own resource. Not let them edit peoples threads/posts, but to delete them to keep their mods clean. Maybe that's a can of worms we don't want to open, but... it's an idea.

Overall though, I agree that the discussions should be retained within the resource.

Also, if you were to keep the discussions under the resource, you could let the resource "owner" moderate their own resource. Not let them edit peoples threads/posts, but to delete them to keep their mods clean. Maybe that's a can of worms we don't want to open, but... it's an idea.

Overall though, I agree that the discussions should be retained within the resource.
Would help with the people who pester devs/designers or the ones that derail threads on purpose.

Great idea!!!!!!
This would make the "Resource Manager" valuable for other uses, besides what it is used for here at XF.com

Also, if we could have an option for integrating a "Classifieds System" into the RM, this would make XF-software more flexible and turn it into a perfect system for many different uses!
See my description for a "Classifieds System" here:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf-classifieds.14894/page-3#post-316920

As we webmasters would like to use this as an Add-on for our own Forums.

Having looked at the "Resource Manager" for a while now, this separation does not make much sense and is quite confusing for a user.
Clicking back and forth all the time.

It seems the only way to get to the "Resource" is by coming from the thread "Author XYZ submitted a new resource:......Read More............"

Why do I need to read the "Resource Discussions" first, instead of going to a "Resource" directly?

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...and-not-in-line-with-xf-easy-interface.26813/

Having looked at the "Resource Manager" for a while now, this separation does not make much sense and is quite confusing for a user.
Clicking back and forth all the time.

It seems the only way to get to the "Resource" is by coming from the thread "Author XYZ submitted a new resource:......Read More............"

Why do I need to read the "Resource Discussions" first, before being directed to a "Resource" itself?
Correct !

When I say 'thread' I actually mean 'thread'. However, I would make it so threads don't have to be organized only under forums, rather, can be organized under resources as well. So, possibly add a new field to the threads table identifying the container type (resource, forum, etc.) and then set the 'parent_id' to that of the resource id or the thread id, then you won't need a ton of forums created for this. That's probably how I would do it, anyways.

EDIT::

And now that I think about it...this could probably already be done by adding a new node type and some simple filtering.

To expand on this. With each resource in the RM, you have a specific node that allows the creation of multiple threads for that addon or resource. First, this reduces the 25, 50, 75, 100 page monsters that users have to wade through in order to find a specific piece of information. Second, this allows unique, one on one interaction between the user and the author of the thread without polluting the main rah-rah thread or someone elses problem thread. Third, it just plain makes things neater and easier to find.

Top Bottom