Resources and load (currently on IP.Board)

ashkir

Hello. Currently we use IP.Board, IP.Blog, and IP.Content (to a lesser extent). The blog feature is very important to our members, but, we're willing to ditch it (unfortunately) in order to move to XenForo if it is a viable option.

What is the server load of XenForo? Currently, we're using a VPS with 3gb ram, 4 cores, and 120gb bandwidth. Our database is about 1.5gb, we have roughly 500k posts and 25k members. We normally have 200 people online at any given time. Our VPS is at its knees, and we cannot find anything to offer better upgrades to us and we're trying to go dedicated, but, it's tough because of the cost and we don't run ads and we're a group of role-players.

Is XenForo equal to or less than IP.Board's server use. Is there a decent way to test XenForo to see if it is a viable option for us. Does anyone have any experience with this? Also, hosting recommendations?

There are many server load comparisons between XF and vB (XF wins), but I don't recall seeing any comparisons with IPB. I have very little experience with IPB so I can't speak on that point. But XF has earned a reputation for being fast and scalable. Many large forums have converted, the largest being IGN:

http://www.ign.com/boards/

Here are some vB comparisons:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-caching-amazing.32629/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/server-load-vb-xf-joomla-proof-is-everything.8073/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf-software-trumped-user-popularity-over-vb4.15378/

Thank you.

We're testing a demo out. We really wish we had more time to press buttons and try to learn how to skin it.

Also, when we're promoting others to administrative on the demo the other admins can't access the ACP. Is this a demo restriction or is this a bug in the software? This is a big issue for us. "Your account does not have admin privileges."

Thanks! That's actually a neat system.

Is there a way we can actually test/import our posts etc to the demo? Or is there a way to get an extended demo? We are completely baffled by the skinning system and our site is completely unstable but we're trying to figure things out.

Not sure if this helps you figure the load - we are on a dedicated with 4 cores and 8G ram and have a DB size approx the same as yours......

We are in our slow season which is typically 300+ users online at one time - maybe 250 on XF and 100 on other areas of our site.

So far I have seen very light server loads - well less than 1. Based on that, it would seem your existing VPS might do the job well.

Thanks guys! Money is starting to become an issue for us, but, we're now feeling XenForo is a necessary cost. Can anyone recommend a web-host for us please or tell us if there are any XenForo affiliates that are trusted?

Thanks guys! Money is starting to become an issue for us, but, we're now feeling XenForo is a necessary cost. Can anyone recommend a web-host for us please or tell us if there are any XenForo affiliates that are trusted?

Swings and roundabouts.

If you EU based I can definately reccomend 1+1, or potentially I could look to move you to one of my dedicated servers depending on your budget.

We're American based. I don't know what Swings and Roundabouts offer. Does Xenforo not have any affiliates? I looked through the third party services board and I was somewhat disappointed with the offers from hosts with not good reputations in reviews or hosts that disappeared in less than a year.

We're American based. I don't know what Swings and Roundabouts offer. Does Xenforo not have any affiliates? I looked through the third party services board and I was somewhat disappointed with the offers from hosts with not good reputations in reviews or hosts that disappeared in less than a year.

Swings and roundabouts was reference to everyone has their own opinion on who a good host is :)

Ahh okay, thanks Slavik. We sent some sales tickets out. Our current host wants us off by tonight. :/ Apparently we crashed an entire node. :( So we want to conver to Xenforo as soon as possible and find a new host asap.

Also, do you know if there's a way to export a style on the demo? We are trying to recreate our style on the demo and thus far are confused how to get the gradients in category to stop when there is none and how to get the quote/text and link text different. We're about halfish done. But, we want to know if we should stop bothering trying to make a skin for ourselves and graphics if we can't export it from the demo and import it to the real site once it's up.

.bbCodeQuote blockquote {
}

and

.messageList .message {
}

If your having trouble with your host and finding something new, drop me a PM, I can set you up for a couple of days until you get yourself sorted.

Thank you Slavik! We tried creating new skins just to see if it was our end or the color pallette doing it. Apparently the color pallette makes the quotes unreadable. :( Is this a known bug? It's not a big deal because we want completely different colors and have a basic look done now.

site3.webpsite2.webpsite1.webp

We're still trying to figure out some color edits. It's kind of fun and a long process. We're rushing it a bit though. This is what we have done thus far. We're really liking the software and wish we could import our database so we can test it fully before purchasing, but, it seems our staff is liking it. We're now holding a fundraiser.

And when trying to add other administrators is this intentional for the demo "You must be a super administrator to access this page. This can be configured in the file library/config.php." ?

Top Bottom