Resource Ownership Should = Thread Ownership

Daniel Hood

Currently you can change the author of a resource but if there's an attached discussion, the thread starter and the author of the first post stays the same. I think these three things should be connected. If you change the owner of the resource, they should be able to edit the thread and the first post (with permission obviously).

Use Case: When I took over Syndol's add-ons, the resources were transferred to me. A few months later his account was deleted (per request), which makes it seem as if all these threads were started by an inactive member and possibly looks bad for the resource even though it's active. It also (which is the part I care more about) makes it so the new resource owner can't add thread tags ;).

Upvote 13
I agree in principle, though it might be better to add functionality to make a new first post (ahead of the original first post) attributed to the new owner when changing Resource ownership. It could contain canned "Ownership of this resource has been transferred to..." text and could also be edited by the new owner as needed.

I agree. I still get confused when I see the thread associated with the alter ego detector add-on I transferred to @Xon with my name...

Really, resources and discussion threads are part of the same content, and therefore they should always have the same author.

Liam

I agree with the premise that a change of ownership should permit thread ownership in some way.

Daniel's suggestion could work, though I can see that you may not want someone to actually edit someone else's post unless they are a moderator. Also, the first post would still have the previous owner's avatar in it which could still be confusing to some.

I guess another possibility would be for the new owner to be able to start a new resource thread for the existing resource (so giving the correct permissions and avatar to the first post) and some way to link to the previous thread, even if it's only adding a link to the first post. It could be advantageous, but does have the downside that searching within the thread wouldn't search the old thread.

I do think there should be some further opportunity to add clarity to the resource thread when reassigning ownership - I agree with the crux of the suggestion.

Considering Sandman's idea of creating a new first post (which the new resource owner would be able to edit), to achieve this, the new first post would need to have the date stamp of one second less than the original first post, and then a rebuild of position and post counter would need to be triggered for that specific resource thread.

However, I don't think XF would alter date information in this way to achieve the desired outcome.

Alternatively, when reassigning a resource owner, a new thread could be created with the new owner, the old thread could be closed with a message stating this fact which includes a link to the new thread. I think I favour this.

Last edited:
Alternatively, when reassigning a resource owner, a new thread could be created with the new owner, the old thread could be closed with a message stating this fact which includes a link to the new thread. I think I favour this.
I agree that this would be a reasonable alternative.

Why not just create a new resource in that case?

Content reassignment is a bit of a weird concept to me anyway.
If you didn't create the resource/thread/gallery item then it shouldn't really be reassigned to you.
It should be closed and a new one opened.

Why not just create a new resource in that case?

Content reassignment is a bit of a weird concept to me anyway.
If you didn't create the resource/thread/gallery item then it shouldn't really be reassigned to you.
It should be closed and a new one opened.
In my situation, taking the add-ons over from Syndol, it was important for the people to know it was the same add-on and for them to already be watching it and stuff. There's definitely a use case for it (seeing as it's used here).

Any chance of getting this implemented?
Not the best solution in my opinion, as I feel the two are somehow connected, but I use this to reassign the author of a discussion thread after ownership change of a resource:

Alternatively, you can make a new thread as admin with the same info (X submitted a new resource) and then change its author, merging the two.

Top Bottom