RM 2.0 Resource Manager questions (before I take the leap)

Wildcat Media

I am looking to use the Resource Manager as a classified ads system. I played around with a demo version here on XF.com but unfortunately, three days wasn't enough to customize everything to my satisfaction and give it a proper trial. But there is enough functionality available that with just a little massaging of the templates and language (phrases), I think we can make this work!

I have a few questions that may help me decide. If this thread should be elsewhere, feel free to move it along. :)

First of all, permissions. I realize RM can create a thread in a specific forum area. Handy! Permissions might be tricky though. Approved members will be able to create a resource. That resource creates a thread. In that target forum area, though, can I set permissions so that nobody can start threads there, yet still have the RM create its attached thread? The reason being, we don't want someone to create, say, a For Sale thread there with the intention of bypassing the RM (or just being unaware of how it all works).

Second, regarding RM categories and forum areas--can we have threads for, say, Category A be created in Forum A, Category B created in Forum B, etc., so we don't have everything lumped into one forum area?

Third, is there any edit history saved for RM listings? We rarely encounter issues with listings changed after the fact when they are posted in a thread, but at least there, we have the post history to fall back on if we need to prove something.

Fourth, I ran out of time to check this in the demo, but...are there prefixes available for RM like there are for threads? I would like to be able to allow members to mark their own listings as sold/completed/etc., and also offer a way for visitors to click on that prefix to filter based on prefixes.

I will have more questions as I go. If it all looks good and there are no deal killers for us, I think we may add the RM to our forums. :)

can I set permissions so that nobody can start threads there, yet still have the RM create its attached thread?
Yes - that's how we have it set up here.

can we have threads for, say, Category A be created in Forum A, Category B created in Forum B, etc., so we don't have everything lumped into one forum area?
Yes - we do that here.

Third, is there any edit history saved for RM listings?
No, that isn't tracked.

are there prefixes available for RM like there are for threads?
Yes - we use them here.

I am looking to use the Resource Manager as a classified ads system.

Have you looked into using thread fields instead? Its part of the core in XF 2 and is available in XF1 through a free addon.

You could also potentially style the first post to make it stand out more

Here is an idea of what it looks like

You could also buy the trader rating addon to allow members to rate each other on transactions they take part in.

It's a permissions issue--we want members to edit their own ads, but don't want to give away permissions in the forum threads (unlimited editing). That and a few other reasons. The thread fields are nice but don't do enough for us in this case.

I'm running @Z61 Classifieds and it works. There are some issues such as a unique forum node per category, which I don't need, but is being ironed out in the next update as well as a built in trader system. You could use RM, but you'd need trader too... which doesn't necessarily work like Classifieds can, as only buyer/seller can exchange feedback, but it doesn't leave room for abuse that could require moderation.

RM was my first pick before he announced that for XF2.

I'm pretty much avoiding third-party add-ons for something this important. We have the XenCentral rating system and development on that add-on is so glacial that we have been STUCK on XF 1.5 since they still are not out of beta/RC status yet. And here it is something our members rely on. I think it's pathetic that we've had to pay for such terrible development--they've had a year to work on this!! I don't intend to force another new system on our members where support will evaporate in a year or two, despite a developer's promises or best intentions. I'm done.

Top Bottom