Resource Manager - previous users hidden

Morgain

I have just downloaded some of the add-ons I use again even though I don't need to. It's the only way I can help the developers get a fair display of downloads and ratings.

I note I did not receive notification that the previous support thread was being archived. If I wasn't a faithful XF Watcher I would not have known and could easily have become disconnected from an addon. That means not knowing about upgrades of new features to keep me interested.
I think that needs to be addressed.

Is there a quick way a developer could notify their existing users of the new RM link?
If not I think they need this.

I am also concerned that checking a Resource does not give me an accurate picture of its popularity and how people use it. Some addons like the famous [8wayRun.Com] XenPorta show 14 downloads and only 1 version.
That's inaccurate to an extreme. The fact that an addon like this goes back to the first days of XF, that it has had a large and active user following, should be on display.

Please consider an importer for developers to import information like -
Date of first version - the TRUE date of the original, not when the RM started.
Number of downloads for all versions since that date
Number of pages on the previous support thread
Link to the previous support thread.

There also neeeds to be an easy way for developers to select posts from previous support threads to Merge in the current one. For example helpful tips, useful tutorials, creative ideas on how to use.

One way to do this would be for a developer to enable tickboxes by all posts on a previous resource thread. Then they (or a helper) go through and tick to select, then merge to the pre-set RM thread.

Without these kinds of transition functions the RM is distorted and inaccurate. It does not fairly reflect long established developers' hard work. Nor does it help the user see which developers have a good established track. It needs to do both.

Is there a quick way a developer could notify their existing users of the new RM link?
The author just needs to post the link. Not that difficult. :cautious:
Please consider an importer for developers to import information like
There also neeeds to be an easy way for developers to select posts from previous support threads to Merge in the current one.
Copy/paste to particular sections where appropriate, or just link to the old posts to the RM page. I don't think Kier and Mike need to spend time to create a one-time importer that has very limited use, and I believe Mike even mentioned that the nature of threads makes this difficult.

I think Brogan mentioned thread-merging is possible after the RM page for the resource has been created, though I may be mistaken.

Top Bottom