1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Reseting users passwords

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by averythomas, Mar 26, 2014.

1. averythomas

averythomas Member

2. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Do you want to remove all of their passwords, or set them to something else, or send each member a reset email at once?

3. averythomas

averythomas Member

send each member a reset email at once with a random generated password.

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Why?

Sending a password in plain text via email isn't secure.

Liam W and Amaury like this.
  5. averythomas

averythomas Member

Because of a database issue I need to send everyone a password.

6. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

What @Brogan says is true.

It would be much better to remove all users passwords (easily done via a query), then send them all a password reset email or have them request a password reset manually (send them all a bulk email from the AdminCP).

Liam

7. averythomas

averythomas Member

I've imported all of the users but when I click on them in the users lists it wants me to create a new one?

8. Brogan

What is your "database issue"?

It may be better if you explain exactly what it is you have done to this point, to avoid any complications going forward.

9. averythomas

averythomas Member

So i've imported users from another database and they all show up in my users list like they should, when I click on them to edit their profile it wants me to create a new profile with the name I clicked on. Seems like the database doesn't know they exist but they do?

10. Brogan

Which software did you import from and how?

11. averythomas

averythomas Member

phpmyadmin as a CSV file

12. Brogan

Well there's your problem.

That is completely the wrong way to import content.

Use an importer.

13. averythomas

averythomas Member

How would I go about doing that?

14. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

XenForo comes with a built-in importer.

15. averythomas

averythomas Member

But the only format I have is a CSV file?

16. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Are you importing from other forum software? If so, which one? Also, why do you only have a CSV file instead of the full database to import from?

17. averythomas

averythomas Member

I moved from not well known forum which only had that option of exporting the users.

18. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Which forum? Someone may still be able to suggest a way to import via conversion to other forum software first.

Do you still have the original database? I'm not sure that much can be done with just a CSV file (and what exactly does it contain?)

19. averythomas

averythomas Member

The CSV file is setup the 'xf_user' format.

20. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

So, you only have 'details' for the xf_user table but you don't have any other data for the users - posts, avatars etc?

I'm not sure what you have is enough to 'import' a database. To be honest, if you don't have any posts or any other content from these users, you'd probably be just as well starting afresh and getting the users to register themselves.