rescue xbmc.org

Well, if they feel XenForo isn't the best platform for their needs, that's their decision, not much anyone here can do about it. Out of those two listed, I'd personally go with MyBB, though.

I'd say it's definitely worth people recommending XF for them as they may not be fully aware of it.

I wonder, does anyone (Ashley?) do any active PR/Sales to large forum-based sites? Or is XF marketed just by word of mouth at this stage?

I'd say it's definitely worth people recommending XF for them as they may not be fully aware of it.

I wonder, does anyone (Ashley?) do any active PR/Sales to large forum-based sites? Or is XF marketed just by word of mouth at this stage?

People brought it up in the announcement comments if you read through them all. Even some guy called it XenForo with a Z, lol.

The admin's comments were as follows:
Changing was inevitable. vB is closed and requires a license for the update that would allow tapatalk. Generally speaking, spending a large amount of money on an updated license, when OSS is available that will perform the same task, seems like not a genius move to the non-profit foundation.

It seems they are really after OSS....

Note: I love how it auto-corrects the post if you misspell XenForo....

They're after *free* software. Any of those options (including vB) are technically open source.

They just don't want to pay for a commercial product.

Right, but that's not the distinction they claim they're making -- they said they didn't want a commercial product, they wanted an OSS one. That's a distinction without a difference in this case... unless any of the products they've tested use encrypted source.

Well xbmc.org probably wants software that is released under the GPL or a similar license.
Looks like they are going to pick from 2 options: MyBB and phpBB3. Looks like MyBB is the selection.

People forget they don't make much money... it's all based off donations.

So they probably don't want to spend lots of money on XF or vB or IPB.

I think mybb is the way to go for them at this point.

Honestly, I don't think it's harsh at all. No worries, go free... PHPBB3 has atleast shifted to CSS, MyBB is still tabled design... let alone their known security issues due to poor programming. PHPBB3... no worries at all, a far better choice than any other free forum software on the market today for features and security.

Using MyBB... you may as well take a dump on your members and highlight to them that they're wiping your backside for you, especially when citing, "Over the next few weeks, the team plans on finally updating the forums to more modern, open source software that will play nice with current browsers and will connect with plugins that will allow for better mobile browsing."

How could they even achieve that with MyBB to begin with?

MyBB is anything but modern... sh*t, VB3 is ahead of MyBB for modernness, and they're already running that. Open-source... tick. Play nice with current browsers... not even close, let alone mobile devices with tabled design.

I am surprised all those positives exist in the same sentence as MyBB. I read that quote and chuckled to myself. Man oh man..... do they have a shock coming

I think xF should be proactive and grant them a free license for the first year.... they are making a huge mistake.
Everyone I know has come from myBB or phpbb to vbulletin and now looking at xF. They are basically going to downgrade if they go through with this.

They should listen the voices of reason and experience.

They've wanted to use a GPL forum for a long time.

going from vB3 to MyBB is a very risky move.
Considering they don't have the time to deal with the future problems ... I think the move is a bit stupid.

It's comical reading the replies to their news item, about how mybb has no issues and is awesome

Wow, not sure I'd say those people were stupid, but ignorant, yes.

Top Bottom