• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[REQUEST] Watch Forums

Cory Booth

EDIT....
This mod request is done.
=====================================================
OK, my experices with vb in the past have suffered tremendously due to one big problem with the business process/design of posting/reply notifications.

I will pay $100.00 (or more - negotiable) to the person able to build this feature.
(you can even release it here as paid/free - no strings attached)

That said, requirements:
1. Subscribe to a Forum as a whole (not just a thread).
2. Forum subscriptions will be two types:
  • Receive alerts/emails on New Posts only.
  • Receive alerts/emails on all new posts and replies.
3. There needs to also be a method in place to override/remove the:
"You will not receive any further emails about this thread........." logic.

4. Addon will be a "plugin" in that it - to the maximum extent possible - will not require file/template editing.
I understand this might not be possible however...

Practical implementation:

Imagine being able to subscribe right here on xenForo to the Add-Ons forum.
You could choose to get an email for every single add-on posted and/or get an email for any discussion taking place.
This would be the equivallent of "watching" every thread - without the limitation of your last visit time nor having to click every single one. You would also get these emails/alerts until you unsubscribe, no matter if you disappeared.

Second example using vBulletin/Maillist.
In vBulletin, there is a setting in the AdminCP to email an admin "with every post" (as what this is essentually). I added a mail-list box account to this and sent all posts to a mail-list.
You can see an example here: http://box513.bluehost.com/pipermail/aquiacreek_aquiacreek.com/2010-December/thread.html
I don't want to require my users to signup to a secondary service as it is confusing to many and then they watch a thread and still get the maillist emails and then wonder why they are duplicated. So.... Hence this request.

DISCLAIMER....
Please, no discussions about "best practices" or "spamming" or anything else.
I have already had those discussions - both on VB and on here already.

Detailed Explanation about Email Time Triggers:
Many of my members on several of my forums watch the ongoing posts/threads via email.
They only login when something interests them or when they want to participate.
Their lack of logging in, however, does not indicate their unwillingness to jump in sometime in the future.
But if my members don't see any activity after the "initial" email, they think nothing's going on and sit around waiting for something else to come in.
No matter how many times I explain it, nor how BOLD I make the message, my users just don't get the concept of having to login to get future postings.

Let me pause and make this statement....
Believe it or not, I have lost 75%+ of my traffic because users don't think anything is getting posted or going on.
Quit the opposite of the argument... "if they get everything via email, they won't log in".
I have first hand proof, in my case, where that's not true.

Unpause...
So call it users failing to read the email or user's failing to adapt to "best practices", but...
Because my users don't get emails continually once they "watch" or "subscribe" they don't go back to the forum or thread.
This just compounds the problem since - atleast in VB - the trigger for emails and alerts check the "last time visisted" date.

I had removed that simple SQL line from the VB newthread function but I don't have the knowledge yet on xF to do those kind of tweaks.

So I am asking whomever takes this on, if they can - for my mod atleast -, remove that "requirement" and allow users to be emailed no matter when they logged in last.

Therefore a member could potentially register...
Watch a forum...
Get all the new posts.
Get all replies to threads in the watched forum...
====
Quit possibly without ever logging into the website again.
====
I suppose a time delay of a few months may be doable - but a requirement of "you must log into the forum or you won't get any more emails after this one" is simply killing me. I guess this is how VB always used to work? But believe me, it is the single biggest cause for my loss of traffic than anything else. Gallery's, Arcades, whatever... I have tried everything to regain my traffic since switching to a "you must visit the site to get anymore emails" system. Nothing has worked. I need this turned off - BAD...

I know this may sound backwards, but this is what I need.

This is something I expect they will eventually have as default. I have been missing it myself, I use RSS feeds at the moment instead. If this isn't done by someone else within a few weeks I will try find time to do it.

This is something I expect they will eventually have as default. I have been missing it myself, I use RSS feeds at the moment instead. If this isn't done by someone else within a few weeks I will try find time to do it.

That would be cool. If not, I'll be hopin someone with some better MVC background than I can put it together.

As long as you know PHP it shouldn't be too hard to make it. Just have a look at how they do the thread watching and do the same thing for forums. Depending on the database you might have to add a column or even a new table. Come to think of it, it sounds like something I can do in a few hours. Might give it a go late tonight.

3. There needs to also be a method in place to override/remove the:

"You will not receive any further emails about this thread........." logic.

Would this be a global option? And I presume it would only apply to emails sent by the existing system?

Would this be a global option? And I presume it would only apply to emails sent by the existing system?

Not sure, but you are probably right. If this can only be deployed on this mod - that's fine...

What I am getting at is, my members on several of my forums watch the ongoing posts/threads via email.
They only login when something interests them or when they want to participate.
Their lack of logging in, however, does not indicate their unwillingness to jump in sometime in the future.
But if my members don't see any activity after the "initial" email, they think nothing's going on and sit around waiting for something else to come in.
No matter how many times I explain it, nor how BOLD I make the message, my users just don't get the concept of having to login to get future postings.

Let me pause and make this statement....
Believe it or not, I have lost 75%+ of my traffic because users don't think anything is getting posted or going on.
Quit the opposite of the argument... "if they get everything via email, they won't log in".
I have first hand proof, in my case, where that's not true.

Unpause...
So call it users failing to read the email or user's failing to adapt to "best practices", but...
Because my users don't get emails continually once they "watch" or "subscribe" they don't go back to the forum or thread.
This just compounds the problem since - atleast in VB - the trigger for emails and alerts check the "last time visisted" date.

I had removed that simple SQL line from the VB newthread function but I don't have the knowledge yet on xF to do those kind of tweaks.

So I am asking whomever takes this on, if they can - for my mod atleast -, remove that "requirement" and allow users to be emailed no matter when they logged in last.

Therefore a member could potentially register...
Watch a forum...
Get all the new posts.
Get all replies to threads in the watched forum...
====
Quit possibly without ever logging into the website again.
====
I suppose a time delay of a few months may be doable - but a requirement of "you must log into the forum or you won't get any more emails after this one" is simply killing me. I guess this is how VB always used to work? But believe me, it is the single biggest cause for my loss of traffic than anything else. Gallery's, Arcades, whatever... I have tried everything to regain my traffic since switching to a "you must visit the site to get anymore emails" system. Nothing has worked. I need this turned off - BAD...

I know this may sound backwards, but this is what I need.

By the way...
I am not sure what to going rate is for mod work. If this price isn't reasonable, let me know.
It is very important to me, so I am willing to negotiate.

Top Bottom