Request: In upgrade packages, please stop including the xenforo logo

jauburn

Request: In upgrade packages, please stop including the logo (or other files) that your users may very well customize--unless those files have been changed.

I see no reason, for example, why I need to keep re-uploading my logo after an "upgrade" of xenforo. I would imagine that there are close to 0 xenforo customers who sport the "xenforo" logo on their sites. Therefore, why make those customers keep re-uploading their logos, or keep track of the other various files that they might have altered, when the upgrade itself does not include modifications to those files?

One small step that would make the lives of your customers easier...

Last edited:
You should be using a custom style directory or at the very least change the logo image path.

That one simple change means you never have to upload your logo again.

It's not just the logo; it's also the logo.og.png file and probably a few others that I'm not thinking about at the moment. favicon, for example?

The logo and the open graph file both have specific style properties to point to whatever location you wish. The favicon in the styles directory isn't used by default (it needs to be in the root unless specified).

The upgrade package is really for upgrading any version of XF to another, so it's not necessarily possible to know whether or not a particular file has changed -- we actually changed the OG logo recently, for example. The only files that tend to be removed are ones that we will never change (data/internal_data directories) or ones that are very likely to be changed and have to exist in a particular location (.htaccess). If we put the favicon.ico file in the root, this would be a reasonable candidate example as well.

The logo and the open graph file both have specific style properties to point to whatever location you wish.

I saw that, and I did change them now, as a result of not wanting to go through this again. But when you're first setting up a forum, it's easiest just to change the logo that you see as a result of right-clicking the xenforo logo and selecting properties. Also users probably don't know about the path setting first off. I do now. But I pass along this issue on the suspicion that you have plenty of customers that are annoyed by this each time they upgrade. Maybe I'm wrong.

It's not just the logo; it's also the logo.og.png file and probably a few others that I'm not thinking about at the moment. favicon, for example?
Create a custom style directory.

I have never had to reupload any of my style images since the first beta - over three years and numerous upgrades.

You can delete these folders (style, logo, etc.) before upgrade forum. I guess it's not a big problem.

Suddenly after this latest update I'm getting a "Last edited by..." message on posts that were edited. That was turned off before. What's up?

If you really don't want to use a custom directory, why not just name your logo something other than logo.png? 'Mylogo.png' will never be overwritten.

Settings would not have changed between versions, unless you changed them or reverted template changes. Regardless, it would have had to been manual.

How do I remove the "Last edited by a moderator" message?

admin.php?options/list/logging here you go, disable it or you can change it with another phrase. Last edited by a Moderator to Last Edited, etc.

If you really don't want to use a custom directory, why not just name your logo something other than logo.png? 'Mylogo.png' will never be overwritten.

And that is correct.

Top Bottom