Lack of interest [Request] Force the xF native options to show first

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

SchmitzIT

After installing a couple of add-ons, when I now check my Options screen, I see modification options inbetween the original xF options in the AdminCP.

Would it be possible to have the next RC ensure that the native xF stuff shows up first at all times, please?

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Completely agreed. It's annoying seeing addons stuck in the middle of the list, particularly ones with stupid tags on them like [DBTech] - breaks the flow of things.

Completely agreed. It's annoying seeing addons stuck in the middle of the list, particularly ones with stupid tags on them like [DBTech] - breaks the flow of things.
Add-ons are not considered second-class citizens in the XenForo ecosystem, they have just as much access to systems as the core code. If their options are to be placed at the end of the list, it is the job of the add-on author to put them there.

Add-ons are not considered second-class citizens in the XenForo ecosystem, they have just as much access to systems as the core code. If their options are to be placed at the end of the list, it is the job of the add-on author to put them there.

Kier, the trouble I see with that some people will always consider their products to be vital, and thus place them as far to the top as possible. It's something that always irked me in vB as well, when add-ons installed themselves right above the vB options. If the design is by default, will it instead be possible for xF owners to be easily able to change the display order themselves, somehow?

After Brogan replied, I tried looking for a way to do this, but wouldn't really know where to find options to set the display order. I really hope I will not be forced to manually edit xml files every time I want/need to update an add-on.

You need to enable dev mode ( config.php - $config['debug'] = true; ) and set the order manually.

Kier, the trouble I see with that some people will always consider their products to be vital, and thus place them as far to the top as possible. It's something that always irked me in vB as well, when add-ons installed themselves right above the vB options.
The short answer here is don't install add-ons from badly-behaved developers. If an add-on places trivial and irrelevant options above important core options, complain to the developer, and if they don't correct the problem, uninstall their product.

Looking forward, we can probably mitigate this problem somewhat by providing a filter option that allows you to show only options from a single product, including product=XenForo.

The short answer here is don't install add-ons from badly-behaved developers. If an add-on places trivial and irrelevant options above important core options, complain to the developer, and if they don't correct the problem, uninstall their product.

Looking forward, we can probably mitigate this problem somewhat by providing a filter option that allows you to show only options from a single product, including product=XenForo.

That'd work, but I'd not know about the issue until after I installed it. In any case, it's nothing major. I just figured it might be worth raising. Thanks anyway :)

Top Bottom