Request for Kier to make a member video.

Dodgeboard

Okay, this isn't really an addon request.

Here's my request...

Kier has made some very nice videos for admins to show us how the forums differ from other forums we use. "How to's," so to speak.

I am ready to unveil my new Xenforo forums to our members but I am worrying about the learning curve. They didn't like it much when we went from vB3 to vB4.

I am hoping that someone on the XF team could make a "end user video" explaining the features of Xenforo and how it differs from the other forums script. Something that covers the upload system, likes, and how clicking on the thread in the search results takes you to the first new post, and how the new word for PM's is conversations, how to add multiple participants to a conversation and how the "follow a thread" & "watched threads" work. Just the basic changes in Xenforo...something we can post on our forums when we decide to go live to give our members a video tutorial, so to speak.

Kier has done lots of good videos for us admins, but there is nothing for our members, in the way of videos, that I could find and they will need it a lot more than us admins will.

I think this would ease our transition...at least for our members.

If you spoon feed everything to your users they will lose the satisfaction (or joy, for the biblically inclined) of discovering things for themselves. I still believe that the idea that someone needs a video tutorial to register and post on a forum is condescending.

You know, unless that is your target audience; really, really dumb people. In which case, don't mind me, carry on, tally ho and all that. Be sure to put a demonstration in the video on how to cut and paste text on a computer. It seems that a lot of people are unclear on that subject as well.

But really, think about it. If you went to a forum for the first time and were steered toward a bunch of videos targeted to preschoolers, you might have second thoughts about joining. You may be tempted to jump to conclusions such as, "Oi, this lot must be thick!" Or whatever colorful way you express things in your particular backward country.

Generally speaking, if you treat humans as if they are intelligent, they respond intelligently. It's food for thought, mobsters!

I agree with you for the most part. I think the biggest thing to do for a community that is converting it post threads showing where things have 'moved' around, not how to use them per sec.

Coming from IPB when I convert my community things will work a little differently on xF than on IPB, so I will post up threads showing them the changes.

Jamie

Registration is not important. Once you get people signed up, how they use it. For members who use VB, where do they find controls for personal settings, etc. How to post media tag (youtube), etc

Top Bottom