Reputation / Points / Karma system

Its strange that this suggestion is labelled 'lack of interest' while so many people obviously want it, because they have liked posts in this thread or replied. I know that suggestions that have less than 3 likes on the first post are automatically move to the forum.

I think that it's safe to say that if it hasn't been implemented by now it never will. This is down to a design choice and the devs have chosen likes over reputation and that's that. We're going with the flow on this since rep is just one of many things that we'll miss about vB and not integral to our forums' functionality, but obviously YMMW...

Personally, I think that combining both systems (likes and post ratings, to clarify) creates unnecessary redundancy just for the sake of it. I'm not saying that there's no way that it could work anywhere, but most places I've seen it used, it was pretty much a novelty item and not something that would be of much use to anyone. A toy, basically. We've removed it from one of our large boards pretty fast. Reputation is a different animal than your average post ratings mod. But again, likes are pretty much a limited public version of reputation so having both likes and rep means that one's redundant again. In our case, once we enabled likes on vB, reputation fell into complete disuse in a matter of weeks. Which made me reevaluate the relative importance of reputation to us, naturally...

Last edited:
In our case, once we enabled likes on vB, reputation fell into complete disuse in a matter of weeks. Which made me reevaluate the relative importance of reputation to us, naturally...
That's natural. Likes are a one click system. People are lazy. I have modified vbulletins reputation system in a 3 click system, which makes it much easier to use and therefore much more popular than the old reputation system. I am now going for a 1 click system. (select rating stars & reason) This increases popularity just as much as likes. Its not that likes are preferable above reputation. Its the interface that makes it easier to use than outdated vbulletin software.

I am sure that XenForo could come up with something that is enticing to users.

OK, "Like" is the standard in our Facebook-ruled-world.
But my users miss the game-like interaction of up- and down-voting somebody or something. And I miss it too.

We had a reputation system on vB and no Like system. When we switched, I implemented both Post Ratings and borbole's reputation system.

The use of the reputation system did go down, but only by about half, it didn't get wiped out completely. The primary advantage of the reputation system is that you can include a brief message with your rep, and that still gets used a lot.

And now, because this was not core functionality, the add-on has been sold to someone who has a history of questionable practices. Sure, I don't have to upgrade if I am uncomfortable with installing this individual's code on my server, but it means that the add-on is now basically self-supported.

I've know that the XF team doesn't consider this to be value-added functionality, but it makes me laugh to see "Lack of Interest" as the label given the number of times it has come up. I think it's actually the lack of the developers' interest, which I suppose makes the label still accurate! :D

I, for one, am still interested.

That's natural. Likes are a one click system. People are lazy. I have modified vbulletins reputation system in a 3 click system, which makes it much easier to use and therefore much more popular than the old reputation system. I am now going for a 1 click system. (select rating stars & reason) This increases popularity just as much as likes. Its not that likes are preferable above reputation. Its the interface that makes it easier to use than outdated vbulletin software.

I am sure that XenForo could come up with something that is enticing to users.

Yea, agree with this fully, it's really down to the fact that liking is a single-click, instant feedback system. People go with what's the easiest and since reputation was effectively private as it didn't show up on people's posts, it gave people less of a feeling of accomplishment than having their username instantly show up as an endorsement on the liked post.

The primary advantage of the reputation system is that you can include a brief message with your rep, and that still gets used a lot.
You can say "Yes! I love this post" on the spot and not on the last page where you seem kind of offtopic. This helps keep the spam-level down. The mere "Like" does not have the same effect.

I would still like to see this implemented in XF. Until then I will use my Advanced Reputation and Post Review System. This addon is more advanced than anything else out there and has anything that vb has and a lot more.

IMO we should have a reputation system, likes and reputation are 2 different things that when use appropriately can be very benefiting to the forum. Likes are just that... Likes, it means you liked that post. Now with reputation, it should be able to give you credibilty, perks, etc..

IMO we should have a reputation system, likes and reputation are 2 different things that when use appropriately can be very benefiting to the forum. Likes are just that... Likes, it means you liked that post. Now with reputation, it should be able to give you credibilty, perks, etc..

I have to agree with you on this and my board members sees it the same way.

This would be an awesome feature to be added in the core of Xenforo. I mean, just about every forum out there has a add-on for reputation system because people always tend to request it. Why not make a core functionality? With that being said it looks like this request did not receive enough likes to make it to the list on Xenforo 2 :(

I have to agree with you on this and my board members sees it the same way.

This would be an awesome feature to be added in the core of Xenforo. I mean, just about every forum out there has a add-on for reputation system because people always tend to request it. Why not make a core functionality? With that being said it looks like this request did not receive enough likes to make it to the list on Xenforo 2 :(

I know, it sucks. I rather them replace the trophy thing for this. Way better.

Top Bottom