Reputation / Points / Karma system

Reputation is so vB...
I disagree. The reputation system in vb is basic and was never completed. I'll bet dollars to donuts that Kier and Mike can build a reputation system thats much better than whats in vb.
I vote for an add-on rather than a core feature.
I would never buy XF without a reputation system in the core. Its way to important to rely on an addon.

Ditto. We're only using the default vB reputation system and don't rely on it so heavily as Alfa1, but it's an integral feature that's constantly used. Most users would miss it if we removed it. If it was extended like Alfa1 mentioned, it'd be even more indispensable.

Reputation is so vB... I vote for an add-on rather than a core feature.

Actually, reputation is more advanced in MyBB rather than vBulletin. vBulletin's reputation system was incomplete and extremely useless. As Alfa1 stated previously, I'm sure Kier and the team can implement a reputation system with the xenForo 'touch'. xenForo has a long road ahead of it, and every Webmaster sees the potential, although without a reputation/karma system, this is a road block to many existing-forum owners. Many forums rely on a functioning reputation system for user-opinions, without one on xenForo, it's a void that must be filled if they expect owners to change forum softwares.

Why would they add such a system if there already is the Like system. I do not see that happen.

I don't see how a Like system is a replacement for a Reputation system? Both systems don't offer the same outcome, they're different features completely. A Like system is to show users and the poster how many people agree with them, whereas a reputation system gives the users ability to place their opinion on a user. A Like system does not offer that, since not liking a post can not display your negative/neutral opinion of them, only positive. Also, posts can be influential and well-thought out resulting in the post being liked, yet that does not mean a user is fond of the poster.

A reputation system is not also something we're attempting to force on users, it's something that many forums owners need to satisfy their community expectations. If xenForo wants to achieve success and a growth in sales, not only do they have to be unique, but they must also be initiative as well as have the ability to meet customer needs. Looking at our society and the changing of the internet, a Reputation feature would be something beneficial both to forum owners as well as the xenForo team in regards to sales and profits.

That's just my two cents. I know that myself and a few other Webmasters looked into the features of the forum software before deciding which one to choose. A full-functioning reputation system was the decider for me, since the communities I run require a feature allowing my users to give other users negative/neutral/positive reputation points.

Well my opinion wasn't that they're the same, just that it's very unlikely that XF is going to have both because they are still similar things. XF is about simplicity, no bloat, clean layout... Having two similar systems don't fit into that picture. That's why I think an add-on is probably what should be expected.

reputation system could be missused ! some people create clone to make flame to avoid bad reputation ..

in www.kaskus.us , many user has moer than one id ! they use another id to insult others ! even they use multiple id to give good reputation to their primary id :) lol !

Alts cause way more problems than just with reputation, so any board with a problematic userbase prone to using alts needs a system to weed them out. But they're certainly no reason not to have reputation at all.

reputation system could be missused ! some people create clone to make flame to avoid bad reputation ..

in www.kaskus.us , many user has moer than one id ! they use another id to insult others ! even they use multiple id to give good reputation to their primary id :) lol !
That can happen if the reputation system is not complete. But with a complete system, you would be able to moderate all new comments and thereby avoid such abuse.
reputation moderation.webp
With a complete system members are able to report problematic reputation comments, and staff is be able to infract right from the reputation reports.
Reported Reputation Rating.webp
With such tools in place reputation is no longer an anonymous way of flaming other users but a fully controlled stream of post feedback comments.

Its also useful if reputation comments are visible on posts, so that users see how others have evaluated a post and what is wanted behavior.

I disagree. The reputation system in vb is basic and was never completed. I'll bet dollars to donuts that Kier and Mike can build a reputation system thats much better than whats in vb.

I would never buy XF without a reputation system in the core. Its way to important to rely on an addon.
Are there any news now? I'm waiting it.

I feel as if likes + trophies + promotions accomplish the overall purpose of a reputation system. Besides that, there are far more internet users today than the early 2000s when VB 3 was released, many of them without a lot of technical expertise. Ex: Folks are far more likely to understand, 'like' which they already use on sites like Facebook.

I feel as if likes + trophies + promotions accomplish the overall purpose of a reputation system. Besides that, there are far more internet users today than the early 2000s when VB 3 was released, many of them without a lot of technical expertise. Ex: Folks are far more likely to understand, 'like' which they already use on sites like Facebook.
As a forum software, not a leader of forums, XenForo should provide the features to different customers.

That can happen if the reputation system is not complete. But with a complete system, you would be able to moderate all new comments and thereby avoid such abuse.

Did you guys try: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/bd-reputation-system.15046/ I've been using it for a while now and and works great.
xfrocks sure makes some stable popular stuff.
I wish he'd make some paid stuff so I could hire him.

Alfa1: By your definition of a complete reputation system, does bd-reputation meet that standard ?

xfrocks sure makes some stable popular stuff.
I wish he'd make some paid stuff so I could hire him.

Alfa1: By your definition of a complete reputation system, does bd-reputation meet that standard ?
I am afraid not. bd-reputation surely is a large step forward and offers not only what vb offers, plus reputation on profiles.
But the vb rep system is severely dated and lacking.

Unless you have the following functions, there is going to be abuse of the system:
  1. mandatory comments
  2. allow users to retract ratings within X minutes
  3. moderate ratings, with possibility to send reason for deletion or cause a post report.
  4. report ratings
Its unclear to me if bd-reputation shows ratings and comments under posts. But this is an important feature.
If users need to type the number of points they can give or take, then thats not K.I.S.S. A user may type in more points than he has. Its much better to use predefined options, like a drop down.
There are several ways to display a reputation UI. I use an UI of rating stars. This works really well for me and reduces the number of clicks. I use 5 red stars on the left for negative ratings, a yellow for neutral ratings and green for positive ratings.But it is also possible to just use a 5 star rating system similar to what review sites have. Here's how it works at my site:

1. Click on rate post:
rating1.webp
2. Fill in comment
3. Select number of stars to give by hovering over the sliding stars and select by clicking a star. This will immediately submit the rating.
rating2.webp

4. a confirmation message will appear.
rating3.webp
5. A moderator will approve or deny the rating:
rating4.webp

6. Ratings will appear under the post:
rating5.webp

Its strange that this suggestion is labelled 'lack of interest' while so many people obviously want it, because they have liked posts in this thread or replied. I know that suggestions that have less than 3 likes on the first post are automatically move to the forum.
@pipedreams @Gladius @msibm @AzzidReign @Markos Please like the 1st post as well.

"If a suggestion is tagged with "lack of interest" and you're still interested in it, you're free to re-suggest it in the correct forum."
How do we "re-suggest"? I liked the forst post. Is ther more I can do?

(I need this functionality bad! Since the *******-Incident also the last decent reputation-addon is deprecated....)

Top Bottom