Reported posts

Jo.

I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find an answer to in searching, so apologies if they've already been answered somewhere and I've just missed them somehow. :)

Firstly, is there a way for reported posts to result in a post being made in a specified forum, or is it just set to only work with the comments thing on reported items? We work in a way where only admin deal with reported posts as they often tend to be related to conflict/confidential types of matters, which need to be dealt with in private (our general moderators don't get involved in that side of things). Mods will do general stuff like moving/editing posts etc. but they don't really deal with the more serious issues.

Secondly, and related to the first point, it seems that mods can see the reported post discussions as well as admin. For us that doesn't work because we discuss more complicated situations as an admin team and the general mods don't get involved in that. Is there a way to modify the permissions somehow so that mods don't see the reported items (our members don't tend to report stuff unless it's something serious)?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether there's a way for reported post items to be posted to a specific forum... or is it only possible to be done through the commenting section?

Is there some way that we're missing to see when there is a new post/comment in an open report? (or a way to make there be a way to see it) ...also, is there a way to archive them long term and are they searchable?

I think she's referring to the fact that once you see the report notification at the top, you don't get any additional notification if someone has replied to it without handling the report. On the forum I administrate, we sometimes use the Infraction threads to discuss the issue before action is taken--without additional notifications for replies, it makes it hard for those conversations to occur (unless you're regularly checking and re-checking open reports).

I'm not sure what you mean Jo. I reported your post as a test, and this is what I see:

View attachment 8994

View attachment 8995

Hi Dean :)

What I mean is say someone reports a post and then you comment on it so the other mods can read your comment... If another mod then comments on that same thread, there doesn't seem to be a way to know that someone else posted something unless you refresh the reported items page. I guess if the person who comments then claims the report and resolves it or whatever then the next comment will result in an alert, but that seems to be a rather annoying way to have to do it. I'mjust wondering if there's a way to make it so that if someone else comments on the thread, you get a notif about it - maybe the way the reported items are numbered - if something is added to, then the number could go up... or some other thing. I don't really know but it's difficult to know if someone's replied to your comments unless you remember to go back and check.

Am I making any sense?

I think she's referring to the fact that once you see the report notification at the top, you don't get any additional notification if someone has replied to it without handling the report. On the forum I administrate, we sometimes use the Infraction threads to discuss the issue before action is taken--without additional notifications for replies, it makes it hard for those conversations to occur (unless you're regularly checking and re-checking open reports).

yep, that's what I mean. :)

Am I making any sense?
Perfect sense. :)

And I understand completely. My guess would be that the reported posts functionality may improve at some point, but you are correct, the situation is as you described. Having extra browser tabs open on certain pages and refreshing every hour is how I've been dealing with things.

Another idea, which you may or may not have thought of - the reports and conversations are numbered. You could put a link in a PM / conversation with all of your moderators and discuss, and cross reference by putting a link to the conversation in the report.

..or even use an alternative method of communication such as skype.

None of those are elegant solutions however.

Thanks Dean :) Glad it made sense!

Another idea, which you may or may not have thought of - the reports and conversations are numbered. You could put a link in a PM / conversation with all of your moderators and discuss, and cross reference by putting a link to the conversation in the report.

I hadn't thought of that - it might be worth a go! Thanks for the suggestion. :) I hope the functionality does improve at some point though, cos as you say it's not really an elegant solution. Still, I do like the reported items function even in it's very basic form right now.

Do you know if there's any way to search reported items? We're starting to build up a few now and it would be useful to know we could search them if needed (for repeat offenses by problem members or previous decisions we made etc.).

One other thing I might suggest (if you haven't done it already) is creating a private forum for staff to further discuss such issues and possibly log actions taken (i.e. staff warning messages sent to a user) for logging purposes and to prevent having all of your staff contact the same member for an issue that was already taken care of, but wasn't reported. :)

By the way, I don't see a way to search old reports--the only thing I see is the ability to click "Closed Reports." I'll make a suggestion thread for that once I confirm there isn't one already because that'd be useful. :)

One other thing I might suggest (if you haven't done it already) is creating a private forum for staff to further discuss such issues and possibly log actions taken (i.e. staff warning messages sent to a user) for logging purposes and to prevent having all of your staff contact the same member for an issue that was already taken care of, but wasn't reported. :)

This is something we would actually like to do... but we're waiting to find out whether anyone could make an add-on so that the report could be posted to a specified forum, so we could do that. We currently use a forum where threads can only be read by admin and the thread starter - another function we really need (would consider paying someone to make us an add-on for that cos it's something we consider vital), and the reported posts go into that forum currently. That works well. I do like the alert thing though that lets you know there's a reported item. It's just not so good for having discussions about that report...

By the way, I don't see a way to search old reports--the only thing I see is the ability to click "Closed Reports." I'll make a suggestion thread for that once I confirm there isn't one already because that'd be useful. :)

Thanks Kurt. :)

Personally I would simply have a Reports forum for moderators to discuss reports. Every reported item would get a new thread, manually done at the present time. But I've got a feeling your forum may not want every moderator discussing every reported item.

I've got a hunch this issue will be addressed sooner than later, somehow.

Personally I would simply have a Reports forum for moderators to discuss reports. Every reported item would get a new thread, manually done at the present time. But I've got a feeling your forum may not want every moderator discussing every reported item.

I've got a hunch this issue will be addressed sooner than later, somehow.

your feeling is correct. :)

Thanks Dean, I appreciate your help. :)

Top Bottom