XF 1.5 Reply Without Quoting

HotRodCarts

Hi, Is there a way to make the reply link in posts in all posts go to the reply box without quoting? I've searched the forum but couldn't find anything for xF 1.5.15

Thanks

Hi, Is there a way to make the reply link in posts in all posts go to the reply box without quoting? I've searched the forum but couldn't find anything for xF 1.5.15

Thanks

I don't understand how people would know which post you are replying to if either there is no quote or it is the post directly above your reply in which case the post reply box is right there in front of you anyway.

I'm not asking about altering the quote button so that would still function as normal. If the poster wants to quote any post or multiple posts in the thread they would click quote.
My main problem with the way the reply button also quotes is a lot of my members hit the reply button on the last post in a thread and it quotes the post that will wind up right above their post.

Is your problem that your users are used to vB, where they have to hit SOME button to make an edit window appear? Maybe your users just haven't noticed that there's ALWAYS an open edit window open at the bottom of every thread where they can type without quoting.

On our MB, the reply button reads "Reply with quote" - not just "Reply" and we don't have that problem.
Maybe you should change the phrase to make it more obvious. Maybe they won't click it if they DON'T want to include a quote.

Attachments

• Reply with quote.webp
    Reply with quote.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I'm not really sure what the problem is, it seems to happen with new members the majority of the time. I'm going to try changing the phrase like you suggested and see if that helps.

I may try that to but I think the members who click the reply button don't notice the text box. I'm still leaning toward making the reply button reply without quoting.
I looked at quite a few xenForo forums yesterday and notice they all have quite a few posts where the last post in a thread gets quoted in it's replies. Maybe it's something I'll just need to get use to happening with xenForo.

If that’s the case you could also change the phrase in the text box from Write your reply to something like Write a reply without quote
I don't think that will work. If you use the "Reply with quote" button, all it does is insert the quote & jump directly into the edit box. The reply would include a quote, contradicting the title of the edit box.
I'm still leaning toward making the reply button reply without quoting.
If you do that, I think you'd need TWO Reply buttons - one with quote, and one without. IMHO, they wouldn't figure out how to reply with quote by selecting the text in the post they want to quote. That might be a worse problem.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you say, the "+Quote" button doesn't insert the quote directly into the reply that's being composed. It simply copies the quote into a buffer and has to be manually inserted into the reply post as an additional step. The "Reply" button (that I propose should be labeled "Reply with Quote") inserts the quote directly into the reply without going through that buffer & doesn't require that extra step. Using the "+Quote" button alows me to gather quotes from severlal posts, possibly in different threads and/or forums - and include all the quotes from different sources into a post somewhere else. There is no "Reply without Quote" button because it isn't necessary - just type into the reply box that's always visible, without clicking ANY button. People who are accustomed to vB seem to think they need to click SOME button before they can reply at all - so they click the only reply button they can see. Unless they want to include a quote, they don't need to click ANY button in XF before beginnning to type their reply.

Last edited:
I never said the +Quote button inserts the quote directly but it does allow you to quote so that option is still there and quoting would still be possible without the reply button automatically quoting. Now I'm starting to confuse myself lol.

Part of the point I'm trying to make is that most users are not adventurous enough to try different ways of doing things. Like my teenager - and my wife - they already know EVERYTHING. And they KNOW they need to click a button to be able to reply - so they do. And it's the button that automatically inserts the quote. I'm NOT saying that there shouldn't be a "Reply w/o Quote" button that does nothing more than jump directly to the reply window. I'm just saying that there ISN'T one now. It might be more obvious to new users if it did exist. Then they'd be able to click a button (unnecessarily) before they start typing.

I've completely given up on trying to show my wife easier/faster ways to do anything on the computer. She doesn't CARE that it can be done in 1/2 the time, with 6 fewer clicks, if she does it THIS way instead of stepping through a multi-level menu system. She already knows how to get it done (eventually) by doing it the way she's always done it. :DMB users are the same way. They'll probably click something before they start typing their reply, whether they need to, or not.

Top Bottom