1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing content returned by xen:raw

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by Myke623, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Myke623

Myke623 Active Member

I have some template code as follows:
    Code:
    {xen:raw $myContent}
    which mainly contains text and some smiley code, hence the need for the xen:raw tag.

However, within this content I'd like to replace all occurrences of the greater-than symbol (>) with the unicode geometric shape ► (►).

I've tried to nest my own helper in there:
    Code:
    {xen:raw {xen:helper myhelper, $myContent} }
    but that produces a template error on save (Invalid variable reference).

One work-around would be to create a new smiley image to replicate the right-pointing pointer shape, but I feel there's a much simpler solution.

Anyone know of a way to achieve this?

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Your content in the raw block basically contains HTML so replacing > is going to cause you problems.

Unless the characters you are replacing are encoded in which case you could do a replacement on >

Anyway, you can do what you tried already with the helper but it would have to be the other way around.

{xen:helper yourhelper, {xen:raw $var}}

3. Myke623

Myke623 Active Member

Is there a way I can encode the > prior to it saving (e.g. via a form)?

If not, then I guess I'll have to use a different character other than > to replace.

4. Myke623

Myke623 Active Member

Actually, never mind that.

Since the helper is running first (i.e., before the xen:raw outputs html), there's no harm in replacing the >'s since they're already encoded.

My helper code is simply thus:
    Code:
    return preg_replace('/>/', '►', $content);

Chris D likes this.