Not planned Replace jQuery Tools with jQuery UI

Adam Howard

I got this general idea when Mike posted how he's been trying to resolve issues in upgrading jQuery(with jQuery Tools) http://xenforo.com/community/threads/upgrade-jquery.25126/page-2#post-520931

jQuery Tools 1.2 was released over a year ago and by default still suggest jQuery 1.7.2, while jQuery UI is normally kept current with jQuery release (which does support the current jquery 1.9.1 out of the box)

jQuery UI has far more documentation, support, and the development is on going.
jQuery Tools = http://jquerytools.org/
VS
jQuery UI = http://jqueryui.com/

Many of the modifications and fixes Mike has been applying to bring things up to speed are already done in jQuery UI. They also have a clear roadmap of what they're working on http://wiki.jqueryui.com/w/page/12138038/Roadmap

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
General curiosity leads me to ask.... Why?
If you really want to have jquery UI as well you can just include it yourself and set it up for no conflict with jQtools (I can show you a demo of how to do that if you really want it)....personally if I can only have one I would rather have it be jQ Tools for the reason that in my psychotic adventures in mockup-land jquery tools ends up running into less issues.

As far as why they wouldn't consider it I would think it is more than likely because jQ Tools is tightly woven into xf and just to change up the library would more than likely require a bunch of bs to essentially end up with the same thing anyays.

If you really want to have jquery UI as well you can just include it yourself and set it up for no conflict with jQtools (I can show you a demo of how to do that if you really want it)....personally if I can only have one I would rather have it be jQ Tools for the reason that in my psychotic adventures in mockup-land jquery tools ends up running into less issues.

As far as why they wouldn't consider it I would think it is more than likely because jQ Tools is tightly woven into xf and just to change up the library would more than likely require a bunch of bs to essentially end up with the same thing anyays.
I personally am a big supporter of having less 3rd party code added into any project.

And I understand that jQ Tools was likely added to jump start things along (add less work as it offered what was needed... ie... why re-event the wheel).

But looking at how technology has change and sometimes even the need.... jQ Tools doesn't seem to be progressive with jQuery Development (they're in the past).

XenForo is still using jQuery 1.5.2 (?) and jQ Tools is stuck on 1.7.2, while the current version of jQuery is 1.9.1 on its way to 2.0

While I'd very much like to be able to update jQuery on the fly, the current system based upon jQ Tools doesn't support this. As Mike seems to be discovering (if I've not misunderstood).

To clarify .... On the fly, I mean simply dropping in (plug-in-play) the next version as the need comes up (without having to edit so much).

The middle-ground of not re-evening the wheel, but allow more flexibility (beyond the limits of jQ Tools) would be to switch to jQuery UI.

Just my 2 cents

The issues with upgrading jQuery has very little to do with jQT.

jQT's approach is much more fitting with how we like to work with XF.
jQT has other underlining concerns for development.....

..... I'll have to file this one as creative differences.....

Thanks for replying though, Mike :)

I just take a look into the demo from jqt.

In the actual Chrome it is buggy as the hell. I really understand you, Mike. But I'm also with Adam. jQueryUI really fits into jQuery.

I support this request. Maybe for later use.

The fantastic integration of jQuery Tools has made the success of XenForo. I don't see any reason to replace it especially with jQuery UI which is a monster and should only be used in backend of a website (administrative part). There's already a topic about it here.

Mike also said he has managed to get it work with an updated version of jQuery (I'm not sure which version). So let's be kept away from jQuery UI as much as possible.

Might have to take another look at this. jQuery Tools hasn't been updated in 2 years and the jQuery folks have been making some major changes in the recent versions, including the removal of $.browser in favor of feature detection.

Top Bottom