Rename Resource Manager?

Tiki Tiki

Is it possible to rename the Resource Manager? More specifically, anywhere the word 'Resource(s)' appears (e.g., Resources tab, Featured Resources, Add Resource)? I am asking because I only intend to have a single type of 'resource,' and I would prefer to use a more descriptive name for it (e.g., Widgets tab, Featured Widgets, Add Widget). What about replacing 'resources' in the friendly URLS (e.g., /community/widgets/doohickey.1)?

Thanks!

Is it possible to rename the Resource Manager? More specifically, anywhere the word 'Resource(s)' appears (e.g., Resources tab, Featured Resources, Add Resource)? I am asking because I only intend to have a single type of 'resource,' and I would prefer to use a more descriptive name for it (e.g., Widgets tab, Featured Widgets, Add Widget).
You can edit the phrases to change it.

What about replacing 'resources' in the friendly URLS (e.g., /community/widgets/doohickey.1)?
Can be done via route filters found in ACP.

There is a plugin that makes light work out of this detail.. Easily Rename Resources

Great! I am assuming this would require overwriting my entire list of phrases, however, which would destroy any other modifications I might have done. This tool has allowed me to very quickly determine how many different phrases would need to be changed, though, by searching for 'widget' in the .xml file. Answer: 161.

I am wondering if changing every instance of 'resource' in Resource Manager's php code before installing might make more sense. Then, even its internal mechanisms would get renamed (e.g., search/&type=resource_update becomes search/&type=widget_update). Any thoughts?

Thanks so much, guys!

P.S. I am a long time IPB administrator who is, at this time, about 80% convinced I need to jump ship for xenForo. IPB 4.0 is looking like a real dog to me. My only outstanding problems right now are: a.) finding a replacement for IP.Blogs (the one solution I found here appears to do nothing more than create the equivalent of a new group of forums—why wouldn't I just do that on my own?); and b.) something that presents a nice stylized list of front page news stories, including images and links to comments, pulled from various forums, for which I have been using IP.Pages' 'articles' database.

Great! I am assuming this would require overwriting my entire list of phrases, however, which would destroy any other modifications I might have done. This tool has allowed me to very quickly determine how many different phrases would need to be changed, though, by searching for 'widget' in the .xml file. Answer: 161.

Nope, it only replaces phrases that contain the 'resource' text.

I am wondering if changing every instance of 'resource' in Resource Manager's php code before installing might make more sense. Then, even its internal mechanisms would get renamed (e.g., search/&type=resource_update becomes search/&type=widget_update). Any thoughts?

No, absolutely not. You should never edit source code. This will definitely break any update to the resource manager.

Nope, it only replaces phrases that contain the 'resource' text.

Good to know!
You should never edit source code. This will definitely break any update to the resource manager.

Yes, of course. I realize that I would need to make the same changes to the code any time an update comes along. Not a terribly big deal... unless the Resource Manager is composed of 11,297 separate files. ;)

Yes, but if you just indiscriminately replace 'resource' with 'widget' in the code you will also rename the database tables. If you do this no add-ons will work out of the box with the resource manager.

Yes, that is a good point. I guess it would depend on what kind of add-ons might be affected. Are you talking third-party add-ons to the Resource Manager, itself? I don't foresee the need to add to its capabilities. I suppose I could revert back to the original code / table names if I ever discovered a broken bridge along my path. It would probably be easier to just rewrite the phrases, though. :D

Top Bottom