Implemented Rename htaccess in the zip file

Jake Bunce

Change it from ".htaccess" to "htaccess.txt". Include instructions to rename the file if needed. Two reasons:

1) Mac users will be able to see the file by default.

2) Existing installations with custom htaccess files don't need to worry about accidentally overwriting.

I suggest doing the same for the favicon image so you can keep it in the forum root which is the most intuitive place for it.

Upvote 14
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Since many users (myself included) will simply upload all the files within the folder, it will certainly overwrite the original and any custom rules will be lost. I didn't even know it was there until you mentioned it so I agree that it should be renamed.

Isn't this only going to affect those who install in the root?

If most people install in root/community or root/forum then it won't affect any existing files in the root.

If most people install in root/community or root/forum then it won't affect any existing files in the root.
But to cover those who do install in the root, this is the way to go.

I vote for keeping. It's easier not to reupload .htaccess file on every upgrade than tell everyone they need to rename the file in order to get nice urls working. People like when everything works out of the box.
Furthermore, it is impossible in Windows Explorer to rename the file back to .htaccess, you have to use command prompt or third-party applications which will surely produce a lot of questions.

Even if installed in root, users can still overwrite during copy. If it's renamed, less chance of error. xenforo can generate one on install.

I've marked this as implemented as upgrade zips don't contain the .htaccess file and there is also a .txt file included now.

Let me know if this isn't the case Jake.

Top Bottom