Lack of interest Remove the Reply link from the last post

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Alpha1

The last post already has a full editor under it. Hitting the reply link on the last post will essentially quote the whole post in the post right below it. This makes no sense and its leading a lot of clutter.
I would like to either have this link removed or have the option to turn it off.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I don't follow the problem? What kind of clutter is it leading to?
I guess he's saying that if someone replies to the last message in the list, the whole message would be quoted in the new message effectively showing an exact duplicate of the post above it before getting to the new [reply] content.

Unless, you have users like mine.... who decided to put their reply ABOVE the quoted text, lol.

I guess he's saying that if someone replies to the last message in the list, the whole message would be quoted in the new message effectively showing an exact duplicate of the post above it before getting to the new [reply] content.

Unless, you have users like mine.... who decided to put their reply ABOVE the quoted text, lol.

I still don't get why that is an issue? That message won't always end up being the last message? I guess I am missing something.

I still don't get why that is an issue? That message won't always end up being the last message? I guess I am missing something.

Because users get to read the previous post all over again. Waste of screen real estate if not used judiciously. PITA on small screens. Big thumbs-up to @AndyB for his add-off that fixes this.
Quote misuse especially last post quoting was the bane of our forums at one time.

Quote misuse especially last post quoting was the bane of our forums at one time.
Same at my big board. It gets some members really riled up and in the past (before we had XF's quote minimization) we had a rule against it. There is no point in quoting the post right above your post, so why have the function?
Furthermore: people click the reply button not to quote the post, but because they want to reply to it.

Same at my big board. It gets some members really riled up and in the past (before we had XF's quote minimization) we had a rule against it. There is no point in quoting the post right above your post, so why have the function?
Furthermore: people click the reply button not to quote the post, but because they want to reply to it.

I hope members always quote my posts so I get a notification saying that someone has quoted me so I know to go and read the thread. I hate it when people reply to me and don't quote my message because then I have to manually go and read every damn thread I have posted in or even worse turn on notifications for all posts in threads I have posted in even if they have nothing to do with me.

Edit: Please quote this message when you reply so I actually see your response because of the notification.

The problem is folk hit the reply button within the last post to reply to the thread in general or the last post was a screen worth of text that is then duplicated. Our members make good use of the member tagging & if you've replied to a post & aren't interested in anyone elses reply that isn't directly to you it's easier enough to unwatch the thread.

With so many users accessing forum on phones now it's a waste of screen space.

Option to turn it off leaves it to the admin to make the choice depending on their needs.

I guess I am in the minority in that I have 1) Never noticed this as an issue from my end 2) never once had a complaint about this from any member. Interesting to see others are seeing this as such a problem.

Pet hate with many members on our sites. It didn't help that our previous platform included images in the quote. We're an image heavy site so 10 or more images in a quote is a lot of visible duplication. Fortunately XF only shows the image link

This is what 'Reply' should look like (without the ^). Just the name of the poster and the arrow to the post. The Quote button is already there to quote...

I thought I made this suggestion my first week here, but can't find it. Also been using Andy's add-on.

Exactly! The link to the post is useful but duplicating blocks of text are unnecessary especially when not intended.

Last edited:
Top Bottom