Lack of interest Remove RSS icons

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I want a global RSS display that supports HTML/BBCode. The current implementation is not very good.

I have an add-on for the former, but how do you do the latter?

I think the survey till now shows there is interest to improve it. My best suggestion is to make a link "subscribe" > Popup "Subscribe to forum by: instant mail, daily mail, rss"

I think the survey till now shows there is interest to improve it. My best suggestion is to make a link "subscribe" > Popup "Subscribe to forum by: instant mail, daily mail, rss"

Two people voted to improve something that doesn't need improving. I don't understand the point of this or why it is an improvement to make something harder to find. If you don't want to see the rss icons, just hide them.

Two people voted to improve something that doesn't need improving. I don't understand the point of this or why it is an improvement to make something harder to find. If you don't want to see the rss icons, just hide them.
Hi LP-John! Thanks for your feedback. The rss icons are nice for people who do know the internet. But imagine your 14 year old daughter is reading through threads on what to wear for the winter. While reading, she clicks on the yellow rss icon. Now she's not on the forum anymore. She is in some kind of browser menu to adjust the rss settings, either subscribe, or don't subscribe, or just read the feed now.
  1. First, most people don't know about rss.
  2. Second, most people don't understand what happens when they click on the rss icon. This definitely looks strange. And they are leaving the page. These people would mark the forum immediately as "evil" in the browser settings, but they have far to few knowledge on how to do that. So at least this is not going so bad for the admins reputation. But it is for the user experience of lots of people.

Hi LP-John! Thanks for your feedback. The rss icons are nice for people who do know the internet. But imagine your 14 year old daughter is reading through threads on what to wear for the winter. While reading, she clicks on the yellow rss icon. Now she's not on the forum anymore. She is in some kind of browser menu to adjust the rss settings, either subscribe, or don't subscribe, or just read the feed now.
  1. First, most people don't know about rss.
  2. Second, most people don't understand what happens when they click on the rss icon. This definitely looks strange. And they are leaving the page. These people would mark the forum immediately as "evil" in the browser settings, but they have far to few knowledge on how to do that. So at least this is not going so bad for the admins reputation. But it is for the user experience of lots of people.

Then...like I said. Hide it. If you're afraid of people who don't know what RSS feeds are clicking on it, it's very easy to hide:

Code:
.feedIcon{display:none!important;}

Bye bye RSS icon :)

Hi! Of course I have hidden it, in fact I have hidden all small icons with the "display:none" setting in the acp. But my suggestion is to integrate it together with the forum subscription (which may come) and when you click on the "subscribe by ... rss" then there is a small text what rss does and that clicking on this link actually takes you away from the current forum page.

I disagree with making RSS feed icons harder to find. I'm on the flip side where a lot of my users are younger, they're gamers and use the RSS feeds. It's easier for them find where it is now as they won't go out of their way to find something like that unless it's front and center.

But there is no Forum Subscription. ;) An when they come, it is not easy to watch RSS from Forumlist. You must walk in die Forum and click then.

And please: Do not build this as an Option. Too much options will kill the Admin Panel.
People who don't need this, can hide the Icon.

I cannot stand sites that make me hunt for their rss feed, I like where they put it on the forum list actually. And while the idea of a global rss feed is nice it does have the problem of how do you handle forums which are hidden by permissions. There's no way I've seen of logging in to an RSS feed which makes that rough.

I like that it's easy to find the forums I want to have a feed of.

Top Bottom