Not a bug Remove formatting doesn't work on paragraph format

twollert

Affected version
Hi,

The "Remove formatting" button is not working on paragraph format like this:

Heading 1​

I'm used to that from other editors like Microsoft Outlook.

Could you check that please?

Last edited:
This is generally expected as the feature only attempts to remove inline styling and generally leaves block level tags or styling in tact.

This is fairly typical with most web based rich text editors.

In XenForo 2.1 "remove formatting" also removed "HEADING"
I wasn't aware 2.1 even had Headings. The current forums I use that are still on 2.1 don't have heading anyway.

I'm sure Chris is right, in WP anyway remove format doesn't remove headings

That's right, headings are new in XF 2.2. If you used a larger size and bold to denote headings in XF 2.1, remove formatting would work there because the font-weight and font-size are applied inline to the text.

I'm sure Chris is right, in WP anyway remove format doesn't remove headings
Different editors may handle it differently but indeed many will follow a similar logic.

Some of our users are surprised that "remove formatting" only removes inline formatting, especially because some copy-pasted headings just look like bold text and the user isn't aware that he actually copy-pasted a "heading". For example, the usernames that XenForo displays next to posts are H4 headings whose formatting cannot be removed with the "remove formatting" button after copy & paste. I don't use other WYSIWYG editors except for the one in XenForo and therefore cannot say whether this behavior is common but I personally would have expected this button to basically behave as if I pasted some text using Strg+Shift+V (instead of Strg+V) in the first place.

I respect your decision (of course :)) but wanted to leave this feedback here nevertheless.

Top Bottom