1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Removal of unused editor icons from spritesheet

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Alien, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Shelley likes this.
  2. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

On an unrelated note, I've never seen quick replies submit faster than on 1.2! Very good performance-based boost too here!

Nice job guys!

Shelley likes this.
  3. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Good suggestion I was going to suggest this last night but got distracted. :D

Alien likes this.
  4. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

5. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

6. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The ?redactor is a cache buster mechanism. Your browser had icons.png cached, but icons.png?redactor is a new resource for the browser, so it gets loaded and recached.

Shelley and Alien like this.
  7. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

I think Mike kept the spritesheet to save himself work and to allow future icons to be added. If he had removed all unused icons he had to correct the default CSS values for all icons. The file is just 20KB and is cached by your browser, so you need to download it once.

Alien likes this.
  8. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Smart move! Thanks!

9. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

I think he'll eventually use his own spritesheet, I still think a pretty big portion of icons aren't used there (even if a few more features were added).

Sometimes first visit experience could be essential and the quicker the initial load on the page the better.

10. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

please dont strip out icons ppl might potentially want to use for the sake of a couple kb when you can save tons more by getting rid of all the gradient overlays.